What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40x46mm Practice Grenades

EagleEyes

Here are a couple of 40x46mm Practice Grenades I’ve picked up and an unknown 40mm. If anybody has more information about any of them let me know.

Round 1
Case: Aluminum
Headstamp: 40x46
Projectile: Blue plastic outer containing bright orange die with steel base
Markings: ROUND, 40X46MM, PRACTICE L8A1, ?CO-07/06-041
Note: Current British Army 40mm Practice Round

Round 2
Projectile: Blue anodized aluminium with steel base and copper band
Markings: RD 40mm TR, M9426A2 HV
Note: Current British Army 40mm Practice Round

Round 3
Projectile: Blue aluminium
Markings: 40 AG DM 118 A1

I also have a few blue used practice grenades (Round 2) which are up for swaps If anybody is interested, contact me using PM?

Attachments

• 40x46mm Prac Grenade 01.jpg
    40x46mm Prac Grenade 01.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 40x46mm Prac Grenade 02.jpg
    40x46mm Prac Grenade 02.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 40mm Prac Grenade 03.jpg
    40mm Prac Grenade 03.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The third is used in an automatic grenade launcher an is used in the german and Dutch army.

The third is used in an automatic grenade launcher an is used in the german and Dutch army.

Are the L8s ever used in automatic grenade launchers? The reason I ask is that I have about 15 of them and they would be a lot easier to display if they were linked like the US ones.

The L8 doesn't have the rotating band for the regular HV automatic grenade launchers. There are some experimental multishot shoulder fired launchers that could fire the L8, but they aren't beltfed.

If you look at the band on the middle grenade, it is very strong compared to the 2 aluminum ribs on the L8.

Last edited:
Are the L8s ever used in automatic grenade launchers? The reason I ask is that I have about 15 of them and they would be a lot easier to display if they were linked like the US ones.

The L8A1 is a Low velocity practice marker round 40x46mm mainly used in single shot launchers, 40x53mm is the std size round for high velocity automatic grenade launchers like the Mk 19 etc.