What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

41A fuze stripdown

BMG50

Premium Member
Just thought to post some pictures of the 41A fuzes i acquired the other day Thanks to Waff :tinysmile_shy_t:and how i stripped down all the components down to the last screw and cog. When they first arrived they were glass bead cleaned which remove most of the heavy crud but the screws on the out side were stuck fast. I didn't want to force the casing screw as the have a tendency to snap at the heads. First thing i did was soak them in plus-gas which kills the flash compound then after about 4 hours heat up the fuzes with a hot air gun only, not a flame gun or torch with a flame as this will set fire to the penetrating oil, i only need heat. After i heat up the fuze i then spray on more oil on and heat again a couple of time, the last time i put on a pair of industrial thick leather gloves which i need to hold the very hot fuze as i have more control and feel and with the correct screwdriver which i rock from side to side to find the flat spot of the screw slot bottom, other wise it can slip out of the slot and burr it, slowly undo the screw, sure enough it came out with ease. Again as with the others heat up with more penetrating oil so it smokes but not too hot to damage the fuze but enough so any liquid like oil sizzles. Again do all screws the same. The striker spring had collapsed revealing the remarkable conditioned strikers which needs to be removed so the release arm can be removed later. I then needed to split the casing. the bottom half sits in a lip in the upper body, so with a hard wood oak dowel i held the top half in a vice and gently tap the lower casing down wards using the two large threaded holes either side of the lower casing, hey presto, came out with ease. now i had the clock mechanism exposed. again heat up but not too much heat and plenty of oil to remove the very small watch screws. As with the release arm plenty of heat and oil and gently ease from side to side and lift and turn with a sharp blade as with every thing else all can to bits with ease.
The inertia pellet spring in two fuzes had collapsed but luckily i have a complete one that i can match. The fuzes now need a gentle clean with either a chemical or with fine art micro grit blast gun to clean up the small parts parts and casing and refit with new springs. Hope to start work on some 67 fuzes many thanks to Satan:tinysmile_shy_t:.
see pic below, post some more tomorrow.

Attachments

• 41Asec1.JPG
    41Asec1.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 52
Just thought to post some pictures of the 41A fuzes i acquired the other day Thanks to Waff :tinysmile_shy_t:and how i stripped down all the components down to the last screw and cog. When they first arrived they were glass bead cleaned which remove most of the heavy crud but the screws on the out side were stuck fast. I didn't want to force the casing screw as the have a tendency to snap at the heads. First thing i did was soak them in plus-gas which kills the flash compound then after about 4 hours heat up the fuzes with a hot air gun only, not a flame gun or torch with a flame as this will set fire to the penetrating oil, i only need heat. After i heat up the fuze i then spray on more oil on and heat again a couple of time, the last time i put on a pair of industrial thick leather gloves which i need to hold the very hot fuze as i have more control and feel and with the correct screwdriver which i rock from side to side to find the flat spot of the screw slot bottom, other wise it can slip out of the slot and burr it, slowly undo the screw, sure enough it came out with ease. Again as with the others heat up with more penetrating oil so it smokes but not too hot to damage the fuze but enough so any liquid like oil sizzles. Again do all screws the same. The striker spring had collapsed revealing the remarkable conditioned strikers which needs to be removed so the release arm can be removed later. I then needed to split the casing. the bottom half sits in a lip in the upper body, so with a hard wood oak dowel i held the top half in a vice and gently tap the lower casing down wards using the two large threaded holes either side of the lower casing, hey presto, came out with ease. now i had the clock mechanism exposed. again heat up but not too much heat and plenty of oil to remove the very small watch screws. As with the release arm plenty of heat and oil and gently ease from side to side and lift and turn with a sharp blade as with every thing else all can to bits with ease.
The inertia pellet spring in two fuzes had collapsed but luckily i have a complete one that i can match. The fuzes now need a gentle clean with either a chemical or with fine art micro grit blast gun to clean up the small parts parts and casing and refit with new springs. Hope to start work on some 67 fuzes many thanks to Satan:tinysmile_shy_t:.
see pic below, post some more tomorrow.

Nice one Chris
That looks a very carefull strip down,and will look forward to seeing
the re built mechanism:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

If your short on bits give us a nudge:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

Very good Chris.
I took my alarm clock to bits when I was a kid and got into all sorts of problems with the parents!!!
Hope you know how to put that one together again!!
Dave.

Thanks Chris for that superb write up on the stripdown of the 41's.
T'was a pleasure to help you out supplying them old chap,as you have helped me out enough on my german mine collection.
No worries and please give me a shout if you need more spares.

best

Waff

:)

Last edited:
Here's some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 18