What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

45MM Anti-Tank Gun

rnixartillery

Good Evening Folks,as a follow up to the 17 pdr I have attached a few pics of the Russian M1932 45MM Anti-Tank Gun I restored a few months back.
This piece is one of two I have in the collection and I gave it a ground up restoration,It would have originaly been horse drawn behind a limber which unfortunatly I have not found as yet.....so if anyone has one please let me know !

Rob

Attachments

• DSCF1535.jpg
    DSCF1535.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF1538.jpg
    DSCF1538.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1542.jpg
    DSCF1542.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 65
  • assorted 048.jpg
    assorted 048.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 127
Rob, another superb piece, and I never realised it was soo similar to the German 3,7cm PAK36....so much so, I assume it was a copy (or possibly otherway around)

3.7 cm Pak 36.jpg

Do you have details of all the rounds it fired?

Again, great to see, thanks !!

regards
Rich

Rob, another superb piece, and I never realised it was soo similar to the German 3,7cm PAK36....so much so, I assume it was a copy (or possibly otherway around)

The German 3.7cm Pak developed by Rheinmetall-Borsig were licensed for building in the USSR in 1930.
I can't say for sure but it would be likely the 45mm is a later development and copy of the 3.7cm Pak.

PC

Good Evening Folks,as a follow up to the 17 pdr I have attached a few pics of the Russian M1932 45MM Anti-Tank Gun I restored a few months back.Rob

Wow...an amazing piece of work Rob.
Have you any pictures of what it was like pre-restoration?

Regards
PC

Yes, its really nice work, super!

Some more 45mm rounds here, but AA type of round is not for this gun.

And also great job pzgr40 on your referred site.

Regards
E

Attachments

• 45_1.jpg
    45_1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 45 mm Rus.jpg
    45 mm Rus.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 68
The German 3.7cm Pak developed by Rheinmetall-Borsig were licensed for building in the USSR in 1930.
I can't say for sure but it would be likely the 45mm is a later development and copy of the 3.7cm Pak.
Yes, according to Koll's new book Soviet Cannon, the 45mm M1932 was developed by the Kalinin plant No.8 which was at that time making the German 37mm M1930 gun. The carriage of the 37mm was used and also some of the parts for the gun, although the horizontal breechblock was replaced by a vertically-moving one during the development stage.

Various other improvements were subsequently made without changing the designation of M1932; in 1933 a suspension system for the wooden wheels and an auto-eject breechblock (which worked only with AP rounds - the HE didn't generate enough recoil). In 1934 wire wheels were introduced as an alternative to allow faster towing speeds (they didn't take over completely until 1937).

Koll also gives information about some experiments with suppressed 45mm guns, and the M1937 and M1942 models. As well as the ammunition, of course!

Nice restauration job and also nice selection of cartridges.
Would like to see a bigger picture of the shot round, as this is the only one I'm missing.

Here 2 different 45mm Russian canister shells shown in a Finnish WW2 manual. First one is made of bakelite and second of metal sheet.

Attachments

• canister-1.jpg
    canister-1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 33
  • canister-2.jpg
    canister-2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 21
I would like to thank everyone for there kind comments ,I know that this forum is ordnance based and I have found it very interesting as I have limited knowledge when it comes to the ordnance. My passion or addiction as it has become is for the artillery pieces and equipment used on them.
My next instalment is something quite different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob

Can't wait !

One thing is for sure Rob if it is half as good as the guns then we will all look forward to seeing it !
Whilst the bias is on ammo here it is also good to see what it is that fires the shells we all collect !