What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4inch tank smoke generators No8

BMG50

Premium Member
How long were the 4inch No8 smoke generators used on early British tanks that were either electrically fire (i think) or fired from a .303 balistite blank. When did they stop using them.

How long were the 4inch No8 smoke generators used on early British tanks that were either electrically fire (i think) or fired from a .303 balistite blank. When did they stop using them.
The electrically ignited type were used in the rear smoke emitters well into the post war period. The blank fired type were used in the smoke dischargers and we're in theory replaced by the 2" bomb thrower but they also survived in use to the end of the war. You find containers for the generators dated into the 1980's but I suspect these were not for the original, vehicle mounted use. Comet was the last tank to have tail smoke as standard.

What did these No 8 smoke generators look like fresh out of the tin. Is there a manual?

They look nice what are they made of and whats his Facebook name for these.

They look nice what are they made of and whats his Facebook name for these.
They are resin.
4inch smoke "flower" pots is the group name (as written on the first photo)

It’s a private group, if you can’t find it message me and I’ll try to put you in touch with him.

I think the later ones, according to the marking system introduced in the 1960s, were painted eau-de-nil (a light shade of green) with a brown (low explosive) hazard band around the body. The width of the hazard band would have been 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, I forget which. There would probably also have been stencilling on the body to include the designation of the store and the filled lot number. Apologies if my memory fails me. I'm sure I saw some of these in an ammo process building in the 1980s.

I think the later ones, according to the marking system introduced in the 1960s, were painted eau-de-nil (a light shade of green) with a brown (low explosive) hazard band around the body. The width of the hazard band would have been 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, I forget which. There would probably also have been stencilling on the body to include the designation of the store and the filled lot number. Apologies if my memory fails me. I'm sure I saw some of these in an ammo process building in the 1980s.
I found these pics in my files from a while back, I don't have the items. As Ammotechxt says they show the later colouring of smoke producing stores. The image of the Brown storage tin in Chris's post is actually mine from way back, and I still have the tin now.

Attachments

• Smoke Gen 1.jpg
    Smoke Gen 1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Smoke Gen 2.jpg
    Smoke Gen 2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Smoke gen 3.jpg
    Smoke gen 3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 7