What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 cal necked down? what is this??

I bought this 50 cal casing and it appears to be modified to be necked down. The neck is longer than a normal 50 cal casing. Any ideas what this is or if it is rare? It's 1943, so its ww2 era. What are some common calibers that the 50 cal is modified to, or is this not normal? Thanks!100_2189.jpg100_2191.jpg100_2190.jpg100_2192.jpg

I might be wrong but I think you have the remains of a lighter made from a 50 cal case.

Tony

Join the club, this happens to all of us! It is a badge of honour for all collectors to admit that they have bought a duff item. I think that there are those of us that admit the mistake and ........... However, you have got to take a chance, I am very glad to have purchased items in the past that I later identified as being unusual.

Better luck next time

Look at it this way. There are a billion 50 caliber cartridges. Only a million of them have been converted to a cigarette lighter. So, yours is unique . . . sort of.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Ray