What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 kg bomb French

Chris

Ordnance approved
Last sunday we found a bomb in the south of Holland on the beach.
Imagin more then 30 degrees and then tell the people to leave.
Anyway the bomb was identified as a French 50 kg bomb and had only the following marking EMMK
see attached photo's.
Is there anybody who know what this means?

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 207
Hi

Good condition

Used as mine on the beach ?

attachment.php

Very similar to the 50 kg GA ! Later replaced by the 50 kg GA MMN (Melinite MonoNitronaphtaline !!! Name of explosive !!!) and marked MMN. But I can't find a trace of a marking EMMK !!! Search, search, search !!!

Yoda

The "marquees frappes a froid" meaning tthe letters engraved directly in the steel/ iron, indicated the establishment where the steel/iron was produced, but generally they were not situated at such a position. the K letter is also very uncommon in French. On the other side, the French 50kg bombs were widely re-used by the german under the appellation SD50frz, often in packs of 4 inside an AB-500-3A cluster - I tend to tink that it is such a SD50frz what you have here.
Splitterbombe SD 50 frz
Bomb weight: 57 kg
Explosive weight: 19.4 kg
Explosive filling:
Fuze type: nose fuze
Length: 1,241 mm
Diameter: 260 mm

Kz11Gr,

I'm sorry I mis understood your question.
We hold all the German records about minefields in Holland.
They used a lot of French artillery shells as mine also in that area of Holland.
There are no records that the used bombs as a mine in that area but you never know what they did exactly.

Regards,

Chris

Bombs can be used as booby traps - but most of the times they are too precious for this matter while shells are more commonly available for improvised mines. There were even official instructions for the French army in ww1 about how to use shells as mines. BTW quiet a number of French 10Kg and 50kg bombs were in fact reworked artillery shells, a practice common also in Soviet Union of the period, a way to get a maximal rentabilization of shell production (metal being more valuable than explosives). This sometimes brought to produce strange caliber/shape bombs such as the one made from Brandt heavy mortar shells.

Kz11Gr,

I'm sorry I mis understood your question.
We hold all the German records about minefields in Holland.
They used a lot of French artillery shells as mine also in that area of Holland.
There are no records that the used bombs as a mine in that area but you never know what they did exactly.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris

Good, it was the sense of my question.
I have also not heard of the use of aerial bombs on the beaches.

Can we seach around the fuze shown here on this bomb ?

The bomb has been cleaned on other parts to show other hstps ?

In the AB500, what fuze was used ? same fuze as this one shown here ?

After EMMK is there a number (like MK I ; MK II ; MK III ; MK IV )

====

Thank you all for the information.
Kz11gr there were no more markings on the bomb then the one I mensioned and we also think that this fuze was used.

In the attached photo there is a French 270 mm projectile used by the Germans on a Dutch beach.
Behind ityou see the wooden cross they used as a pressure plate.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 37