What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50mm Mortar ID

ozziammo

Howdy Guys & Gals,

I picked these up on the weekend during a militaria fair, they are 50mm diameter with little makings or stampings, anyone know what they are & who used them?

Thanks,

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_4596.jpg
    IMG_4596.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4597.jpg
    IMG_4597.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
french bomblet?

G'day Ozzi Lucky bugger good find! as already stated I think the yellow one is french 5cm mortar 1930's and the germans used capture stocks of these just like their SD1 bomblets I think they were called SD1{FR} Others like Butterfly and Saturn and SG500 would be better able to confirm this .

Regards Daryl

french bomblet?
G'day Ozzi Lucky bugger good find! as already stated I think the yellow one is french 5cm mortar 1930's and the germans used capture stocks of these just like their SD1 bomblets I think they were called SD1{FR} Others like Butterfly and Saturn and SG500 would be better able to confirm this .

Regards Daryl

Hi Ozzi,

As Daryl quite rightly says the small 5cm mortar was used by the germans as an aircraft bomb dropped from containers of various sizes. Designated SD 1 frz. (this was to distinguish it from the German SD 1) When used as an aircraft bomb it used the AZ (73) B fuze.

regards Kev

Here is a link to a thread, if you scroll down you will see the various types of SD1 including the SD 1 frz

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/sd1-bomblet-german-t3924.html

Last edited: