What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

53 mm WBW35St

H

Hoeksel

Today I found a great shell case for the WBW35 (Wasser Bomben Werfer)! But one thing strikes me, it is for German depth charges, so Kriegsmarine, but it has a WaA. Can anybody explain this?

Attachments

• WBW35St.jpg
    WBW35St.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 62
I will post pictures tomorrow, when the light is better, so you can see the mint condition. I am so happy with this find!!

I am still a bit surprised about the WaA (Army acceptence code). I have a 8,8 cm C/95 case with WaA, but at least there was a Kusten Artillerie that used these. I still do not see why the Army would accept ammo that was so clearly Kriegsmarine only.

EDIT:

A friend also told me Waffen Revue #116 mentions the WBW. My case dimensions match with the Krupp WBW35 for 20 m (that is not very far!). There is also a case with a length of 172 mm for 120 m distance. If I look at the pictures it seems that both have the same case, but the large distance WBW case has a much larger load of "pulver" and is extended using a cover.

Most interesting is page 127 showing a land version of the WBW! These where found in 1944 in Wimereux (France, west coast). I agree it would be strange to have specific WaA approved cases for this strange occasion, but it is possible since my case has a WaA.

I wonder if more cases are known because I would like to compare the base material (seems to be Zinc, not steel).

Attachments

• WBE case.jpg
    WBE case.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 28
  • WBW mouth.jpg
    WBW mouth.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22
  • WBW stamp.jpg
    WBW stamp.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator: