What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.55\" Boys Round

Weasel

Premium Member
Sectioned round clearly sowing the size of the AP core. Sectioned round dated 1942. Shown next to a complete round for comparison.
Weasel.
-5123d8f49577f58dc373c9ef312f6649.jpg

I never knew that so much of these rounds were AP i dont know why they bothered with a jacket hardly worth it ,nice round weasel.

I know what you mean about the jacket, there is no around the AP core. I dont have any more sectioned AP round to compare it to like the French 25mm for example. I would like to increase my collection of sectioned rounds.
Weasel.

There is one very simple reason why they bothered with the jacket. Without it to act as a cushion the hardened steel core would wear put the rifling in the barrel in a few shots!

Regards
TonyE

Hi TonyE,
Thanks for your post, i understand the need for a jacket around the core i was not expecting the core to be so large. I guess i am used to looking at larger caliber shot, where there is a much larger sabot or jacket around the core. Due i am sure to the weight of the AP core and the need for a high velocity in order for it to perform it's job.
Weasel.