What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

55x224 identification query

SG500

Premium Member
Hi all, I got this one very cheap and bought it just out of curiosity.
Clearly its in rubbish condition and in need of a clean up.
Can someone let me know what gun its for and if you have any such rounds that are perhaps in better condition I'd be interested in seeing a photograph of them.

The headstamp is "EP 97"
The case length is 224mm
The calibre is 55mm
The diameter of the base of the case is 70mm

The case is brass as is the empty cannister projectile.

Thanks.

Dave.

Attachments

• 55x224 001.jpg
    55x224 001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 55x224 002.jpg
    55x224 002.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 55x224 003.jpg
    55x224 003.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 67
I knew I'd seen something about this somewhere.
According to John Carlins web site its a Belgian pre WW1 Cannister round.
Johns description is as follows:

"When loaded this cannister would have been full of shrapnell balls. When fired the thin brass would have ruptured as it was propelled from the gun and the shrapnell balls would have dispersed in a cone for use against troops in the open & as a close defence round."

John has one listed as a 57x225R but it seems to be identical to mine. I'm not sure if this is the correct designation or if its the 55x224 that I measured.

Its on http://www.jcmilitaria.com/details.asp?ID=293 is anyone is interested.

So, back to the original query, I've now worked out what it is so if anyone has any pictures of other rounds used in the same gun or pictures of the gun I'd be interested in seeing them.

Dave.