What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57 x 250mm Guson / Krupp shells

Burney Davis

Premium Member
The picture below shows four 57mm Gruson/Krupp shell cases.

The left one is unmarked and measures 57 x 248mm. It has a slightly different neck profile to the other three and according to the RCJ list it is Japanese made. Can anyone confirm that or suggest otherwise?

The other three cases measure 57 x 250mm and have the same profile. Second from the left is Austrian, third from left is German and the far right is Dutch 6 Veld.

As I understand it, the gun is a Gruson/Krupp designed and manufactured piece of the early 1890’s (Krupp took over Gruson in 1893). It was sold to many nations and was taken into Dutch service in 1894.

My question is, what projectile(s) would the first three cases have originally contained? There is some good information on this forum about the Dutch 6 Veld but nothing I can find about the originally produced ammunition. Help on this greatly appreciated.

20230124_142227.jpg20230124_142307.jpg

There are threads regarding the 53mm Gruson here on BOCN. If there was a 57mm Gruson, I'm sure the projectiles would be very similar.

According my references the Japanese case has a slightly shorter length (248 vs 249-250 mm) and a rim of 72.9 mm. But yes, could very well be Japanese, that case does exist.

The one on the right looks like a Dutch "6 Veld" casing.
Burney Davis even says it in the description :D
In any case, the Stuk van 6-veld was a Krupp/Gruson in 57x250R (or 251, according to the Gruson manual), the very gun we're discussing.

Attachments

• Grusonwerk Schnellfeuer Kanonen 1888_Page_62.jpg
    Grusonwerk Schnellfeuer Kanonen 1888_Page_62.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Grusonwerk Schnellfeuer Kanonen 1888_Page_63.jpg
    Grusonwerk Schnellfeuer Kanonen 1888_Page_63.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 25
Burney Davis even says it in the description :D
In any case, the Stuk van 6-veld was a Krupp/Gruson in 57x250R (or 251, according to the Gruson manual), the very gun we're discussing.
Yup, saw that afterwards ....
Reading during/after working a nightshift ... not one of my stronger qualities.
But I don't think my answer hurt anyone/anything .... other than my selfesteem