What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.577 case head

Bob7.62W

Help with I.D. on this item please;
It's the head from a .577 Snider case, the rolled brass/paper is missing, the case appears to have been modified to take modern primers, as the primer in situ looks to be nickel or chrome plated, so far so good. The mystery is the area around the primer, it appears to be soft solder, which suggests the somebody has soldered in an adaptor, but near the 'h' in Kynoch, there is a small stamped '3', and diametrically opposite, is an 'H'. Both are 1.3mm high. I can understand that somebody would modify the cases to make them useable, but why would they go to the trouble of stamping them as detailed? Possibly this were done commercially, but even so, why the stamps?
jpg.gif
jpg.gif

Attachments

• SAM_2018.jpg
    SAM_2018.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 67
  • SAM_2019.jpg
    SAM_2019.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 67
I think someone has soft soldered the head of another case into the Snider case head, that way they have a readily formed primer pocket to take their new primers. The 3 is part of the headstamp from the donor case.

Thanks for that, and looking at it more closely, I think that you may well be right, I'll scrape the solder off tomorrow and see what lurks beneath.

SAM_2020.jpgProblem solved thanks to reccetrooper! Obviously didn't have my lateral thinking head on yesterday, it's a Kynoch 32 S&W case head.