What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm-6pdr HE-T projectile

Spaceinvader

Hello All,
got this nice British 6pdr/57mm projectile this weekend. I am looking for more info on it, as I cant find any online.
Im fairly certain its British due to the markings, and my measurments show it is 57mm, or 6pdr. The transit cap in the fuze well is dated 1944, and there is a rubber plug in the tracer cavity. The only photo I can find online of this projectile is one for sale on the BOCN classifieds. The thing that throws me off is the odd driving bands that remind me more of French rounds than British.
I would like to know what gun it would be used in, date, what type of casing it used and what type of fuze it would have used. Hope someone can tell me!
Rhys

Attachments

• 57mm projectile.jpg
    57mm projectile.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 57mm projectile cap.jpg
    57mm projectile cap.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 57mm markings1.jpg
    57mm markings1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 57mm markings.jpg
    57mm markings.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 57mm base.jpg
    57mm base.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the info Dave. I have never seen a complete round just the projectile. Love the LittleJohn variant.
Do you know what these were for? Or the type of fuze on them?

Ahh okay, very interesting. Is this the gun? Found online after searching "6pdr 6cwt AA gun".

I assume casings or fuzes dont come up much then?

Attachments

• 6pdr 6cwt.jpg
    6pdr 6cwt.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 6pdr 6cwt2.jpg
    6pdr 6cwt2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 6pdr 6cwt3.jpg
    6pdr 6cwt3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 6pdr 6cwt4.jpg
    6pdr 6cwt4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25
Ahh okay, very interesting. Is this the gun? Found online after searching "6pdr 6cwt AA gun".

Yes, that's the one. It was played around with for much of WW2 but never worked properly, and was cancelled in 1946. Although for some unknown reason, a batch of ammo was made in 1960.

I assume casings or fuzes dont come up much then?

You assume correctly as far as cases are concerned - don't know about fuzes.

Thank you all for the info, I had never heard of this gun or ammunition before.

I guess it will be sitting up on the shelf with the other case-less projectiles until I can find one!

These are one of the few types of ammunition where the projectiles seem to be more common than the cases.