What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm S-5P chaff aircraft rocket, Russia

microplastic

Cutaway model of a russian 57mm S-5P Chaff aircraft rocket. The rocket creates clouds of chaff that are intended to jam air defense radar or to decoy radar targeting missiles.

The rocket warhead has seven tubes, the 6 outer tubes are filled with metal-coated fiberglass strips, the central tube acts as a flash channel for blowing off the balistic cap. There are 4 chaff elements per tube (24 total),which are held together by two metal half-shells.
Below is the electric armed fuze with the distributor above it. The rocket motor is one powder stick in a steel tube with an elongated eight-fin exhaust nozzle at the rear.

When the rocket is fired, the rocket motor`s igniter receives an electrical pulse and ignites the motor igniter charge. The rocket motor burns for just 1.1 seconds and flies about 300 meters during this time. The wings fold out and bring the rocket to approx. 750rpm.
As the rocket motor is ignited, the two primer charges(1) of the base fuze are ignited at the same time, which in ignites a pyrotechnic delay(2) and the black-powder safety pellet(3) of the pin(5). The pin holds the slider(4) in safety position.The pin(5) can now move down, releasing the slider(4) and make the connection to the ignition pellet(6) .
The delay, when burned through, ignites the booster(7) and then the ignition pellet(6) which in ignites the ignition pellet(8) of the distributor. The flame ignites the center Detonator(9) which is sending a flame into the black powder expulsion charge in the top of the rocket, blowing up the ballistic cap. After a short delay(10), the six detonators(11) of the outer tubes are ignited, which ejects the chaff out of the now open tubes.

Length of the rocket : 1070mm
Diameter of the rocket : 57mm
Weight of the rocket : 4,04 kg
Fuzes of the warhead : I-90 + I-97

Attachments

• overview.JPG
    overview.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 72
  • warhead.JPG
    warhead.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 72
  • fuze.JPG
    fuze.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 67
  • nose.JPG
    nose.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 73
  • nozzle.JPG
    nozzle.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 64
  • chaff.JPG
    chaff.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 60
  • overview back.JPG
    overview back.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 67
Outstanding photos! A nitpick to the description - there are two flash tubes from 9 to two of the item 10s, only one of these is seen in the photo. There are additional flash tubes that go from the top of these to the bottom of two more item 10s (there are one of these per tube-o-chaff) and from these item 10s there are tubes that lead to the last pair. In this manner, there are three bursts of two tubes each. Thanks so much for posting the photos. OBTW, technically this would be an S-5PM because of the S-5M rocket motor. The warhead, to the best of my (limited) knowledge was unchanged between the S-5P and the -5PM,

That is truly incredible! Did you do the sectioning or is this a factory made model? Serious engineering and a work of industrial art. Just awesome.

Jason

Thanks,

I did this cut myself - i was lucky enough to get a practice rocket model with all the internal parts (inert).

Regards

Thanks,

I did this cut myself - i was lucky enough to get a practice rocket model with all the internal parts (inert).

Regards
It is one of the advantages of Russian practice ammo; it is exactly the same as live ammo with all the explosives being replaced with an inert substance, mostly sulfer, wax or just sand. Powdersticks and propulsion charges are replaced with painted wood, as one can see in the pictures above.
This in contrast to western (NATO) ammo where practice ammo has the same ballistic propperties after being fired, but is -nearly always- completely different in design from live ammo, due to lower cost for production. Therefore western ammo is much more difficult to obtain and cut as the inner parts with inerted live ammo are always removed and destroyed.

Last edited:
It is one of the advantages of Russian practice ammo; it is exactly the same as live ammo with all the explosives being replaced with an inert substance, mostly sulfer, wax or just sand. Powdersticks and propulsion charges are replaced with painted wood ones as one can see in the pictures above.
This in contrast to western (NATO) ammo where practice ammo has the same ballistic propperties after being fired, but is -nearly always- completely different in design from live ammo, due to lower cost for production. Therefore western ammo is much more difficult to obtain and cut as mostly the inner parts with ex live ammo are removed and destroyed.
Yes, it is often very surprising, with how much detail they (the Russians) made this practice ammo, every little part no matter how small is there. No comparison to western practice models, that's correct