What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57x224R Split neck

Falcon

Was this split neck on this 1916 German 57 x 224R case caused by firing. The look of the crack looks like it was blown open on firing. Wasn't this calibre used in a revolving cannon? Would residual pressure after firing have been able to cause that crack? It doesn't look like it has simply cracked with age due to the way the metal has split.

Any ideas?

I would like to locate another (un-split) one of these if possible. If anyone has one, please could they let me know.

Attachments

• 57mm_full_case.jpg
    57mm_full_case.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 57mm_split_neck.jpg
    57mm_split_neck.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
looks like its been cut with a pair of tin snips perhaps some one was going to try some trench art

regards lee

the splits

I agree with Lee, The cut definately appears to have been done after the fact. Interesting question indeed and a nice case nonetheless.....Dano

Looking at it, it looks like it was probably done with tin snips. I bought this off a market stall when I was about 13 or 14 for 1 There was another one on the table as well with exactly the same cut. Why do people have to do this?

As there were 2 cases with the same cut, Is there any chance that this could have been done under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles? This may be an unloaded, unfired case. Could it have been cut to make it unusable, then sent to be melted down for scrap along with the other case. Maybe the other case and this one never reached being melted down for some reason, and somehow ended up on a market stall in the UK in 2004 or 2005. If it was someone's attempt at trench art, it seems odd that they would do exactly the same cut on 2 cases, and never go any further.

Last edited:
its a very nice looking case you should be able to get it repaired if the neck is still strong

regards lee

The rest of the case is in very good nick, but the neck is stretched outwards in the part where the cut is. What would be the best way of repairing it? The neck would have to be re-formed before the crack could be soldered or brazed up.

The trouble is that where the cut is is actually wider than the case below the neck, so re-forming it to look right could be problematic. Someone elses suggestion in another thread of finding a musical instrument repairer who works on brass instruments seems a good idea. I wonder how much they charge per hour for work.

Find a brass bell

Get one in a large size and a gentle slope that is smooth inside. Place it over the top of the case and hit it with a mallet. This will resize the top 1/8th inch or so of the case, the more gradual the slope of the bell the further it will work. This works well on 37mm cases where the top of the neck has been flared because a projectile has been forced in too far. It is also useful to slightly size the top of a case to give a projectile a snug fit if the case is just that little bit too sloppy. You can also reverse the bell to get the reverse effect. This also aids in bringing the top of a case back into round.

I brought up the musical instrument repair subject about 6 months ago. I'm not sure if they can work with thicker brass, as instruments are very thin.

As far as welding goes, brass can be welded to show no weld at all if done with a TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) torch. Filler rod would be suggested, and in the best of all perfect worlds, I would use strips of brass cut from a similar scrap case, so that the copper/tin mix is the same between the parent metal and the filler rod. Once it is welded up, you can file/grind/turn off the excess brass.

As far as cracks in brass cases go, brass ages and gets brittle with age. It will crack on its own as it gets older, usually at the case neck, because that is where the most stress is. There are a number of articles in shooting magazines on how to anneal brass, but the easiest is to sit the case in water, up to below the neck, heat the brass case neck with a torch, and knock it over into the water to cool it. This will soften the brass, so that it won't crack on its own.

I'm sure there is a thread or two about it here on BOCN.

Yes, here you go:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/annea...t40239.html?t=40239&highlight=annealing+brass

Last edited:
Hello chaps,I was quite interested in Gordons mention of bells,I've been deluding myself that I was alone in discovering how useful these are on case necks.I now have several in various sizes,and a few old ladies in local charity shops must think I'm into campanology!!! I've been more successful on flared necks with high torque Jubilee Clips after plenty of heat,of course.
Regards Chris.

How common is this case? Is it worth repairing or not. For example something like a German 77x230R or a British 18 Pouinder is definitely not as there are thousands around.