What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57x307 6Pdr Shell and Case ?

NZ L1A1 Collector

I've been asked to ID this round that will be going up for auction in April. I think it could be a 6 pdr Hotchkiss Case..... But I' not sure.

Measurements are 'basic' they were done with a clothes tape.

On the base of the projectile is marked V On the side of the projectile is marked VSM. I can't find any other markings.

The Case is ... interesting, the walls are made of brass and the base is steel with 5 brass 'pins' or rivets. I can't find any marking on the case.

The fuze is marked: 301 R/|\L IV 1024

Any idea what we have here? I would like to have it correctly ID so the description in the Catalogue is correct.
6pdr_05.jpg6pdr_01.jpg6pdr_02.jpg6pdr_03.jpg6pdr_04.jpg

I would say the case is Hotchkiss( French) and the projectile British ( Vickers ). The case about 1880, the projectile a bit later, 1890's. I would like it in , anyway!

Thank you for the information.

Do you know what type of projectile it is and what the model of fuze........ and is the fuse correct for it?

I have 2 which look like it and they are#4. It is probably a shrapnel round from the photos. Both rounds I have are shrapnei and from the 1890s.

Hotchkiss case for sure, the markings would have been where the rusting was the worst if marked. Not a common case. Projectile, shrapnel or explosive, I don't see where the top of the projectile would push out if it were shrapnel. Image of Hotchkiss cases for 1889 , so the case likely predates the projectile. The built up case was offered as an economy model. The projectile type was issue for ww1 tanks (which is what the two images relate too), but could predate ww1 as well (other members would know more than me about this) as these were navel munitions as. Both items are good, but perhaps the projectile should be in a later British 6pr case. I a sense though Hotchkiss sold to anyone and any combination is possible but a VSM projectile in this case is a (forgive me) longshot ~

Attachments

• Snapshot 2010-08-16 21-47-35.jpg
    Snapshot 2010-08-16 21-47-35.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Snapshot 2010-08-16 21-42-40.jpg
    Snapshot 2010-08-16 21-42-40.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 38
  • h44.jpg
    h44.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: