What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

59 German Bomb Fuse

millsbomber

Premium Member
I brought this example many years ago in a collection of other very nice fuses, i do not know much about it only what i have included in the pictures, any other info about this would be much appreciated,,,, Dave

HPIM0235.jpgHPIM0234.jpgHPIM0230.jpgHPIM0231.jpgHPIM0232.jpgHPIM0233.jpg

Hallo,
I can not help you and I'm even a bit confused, because I have not seen any literature about this fuze. An El.Zt.Z.(59)A has been introduced in Nov.1940 and is described in LDV 152 Part 23 and the El.Zt.Z.(59)B in Part 29. Both of this fuzes are shorter than yours. Both of these fuzes have electrical charging pins which yours does not have. Yours looks like a mechanically armed fuze (removal of a pin). Also the construction (long, slender tube-extension) is different to all other El.Z. I have no idea what munition this fuze was ment for. Also the marking, just (59), is strange. May be somebody else here can enlighten us. Being a 59series fuze, I assume this to have a fixed pyrotechnic delay, that is ignited upon release of the munition.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

I have a snippet of information
The type 59 fuze is listed as 'believed to be obsolete' in this original BD pamphlet within my collection.......it states its a mechanical aerial burst fuze and used with LC 50 parachute flares.
here is a photograph from the pamphlet which deals with markings on the fuze heads - document dated 1943.

regards Kev

P9271044.jpgP9271046.jpg

Yea, that's it. Somebody else just told me to check page 171 of TM 9-1985 . One can not know everything, but one should know where to look. I read through this TM many,many times and know the above drawing. But with Dave's photos above it's the first time I see a picture of the actual fuze and I did not connect the two in my brain.
Regards,
Bellifortis.