What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5cm Projectile ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Can anyone positively identify this projectile? Looking for the nationality, age, use, case it would fit to and the gun. It is 50mmm in diameter and 196mm long (give or take a mm!). Only markings are as in the pictures

Thanks in advance.

D50mm 1.jpg 50mm 2.jpg50mm 3.jpg
pencil.png

Hi BD,
I have this projectile with base fuse,the base fuse is a Sprg.m.K with the marine stamp dated 17,German,the case is 50x463,hope this helps,

Hi BD,
I have this projectile with base fuse,the base fuse is a Sprg.m.K with the marine stamp dated 17,German,the case is 50x463,hope this helps,

Thanks for the reply A1. I think the case you are referring to is the 5.2cm L/55 German naval gun case. Although the projectile will fit the case I don't think its correct for the gun. Every German naval projectile I've seen has the marine stamp on it and/or other marks identifying it as first war German. I don't recognise this makers mark though. And although the fuze you have screws into the base threads it' just doesn't look right to me - but then what do I know!! I've been leaning toward Austrian, the 37mm trench gun round on steroids.

Any other opinions welcome so don't hold back guys!

D

A bit odd that it appears to have a right hand threaded base !
Is that weapon mentioned above a Left Hand rifled piece of Ordnance?
Nice shell and thanks for showing us, good luck with full i/d.

To me it looks very similar to a 5cm German WW1 gun boat projectile. I had a picture in my files but had a CPU meltdown and lost all data so all I can say is it looks like it? Dano