What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6" 26cwt HE Shell WW1

ben2000

Hi All,

Had this one delivered today, my largest (and most heavy!!) Shell so far.

Its a nice inert relic condition First War 6" 26cwt HE shell. It still has some traces of markings on the bottom that i'm trying to figure out.

This one is fitted with a nice 101 percussion fuze, so going along with Hogg's book which says HE shells would mainly have been fitted with 106 fuzes, and gas shells would have had a 101 fuze, i think i'm going to give it a new paint job as a chemical shell.

The white painted shell to left is an 18pdr shrapnel for scale.

Hope you like it as much as i do.

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Ben.

Attachments

• 6Inch 26cwt 016.jpg
    6Inch 26cwt 016.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 6Inch 26cwt 011.jpg
    6Inch 26cwt 011.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 6Inch 26cwt 002.jpg
    6Inch 26cwt 002.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 79
Hi
Your shell is not the type for chemical and it's realy HE Shell with good fuze
N 106 is used on HE and chemical shell but the 6in gas shell is not this one

Hi
Your shell is not the type for chemical and it's realy HE Shell with good fuze
N 106 is used on HE and chemical shell but the 6in gas shell is not this one

Thanks Doctor,

I couldn't find any pics of these shells anywhere and presumed that early on gas shells were just he shells filled via a hole in the side. I shall paint it as HE maybe. Do you know if these were painted yellow like other HE shells?

Ben.

Hi
Chemical shell are painted grey
for 6 in, the driving band is very near the base and not like you're shell
In france i've found two types of 6 in Gas shell and one have the filling hole on cylindric body (fuze 101 or 106) and the other on top conical body an was repared shell or if you prefer with different size for cylindric body an more larger for base an conical top (fuze 106)