What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 inch casing

DEADLINE222

After never making a purchase from a local antuque mall, after 8 years of stopping in, I finally found something.

Upon noticing the date of August of 1918, I made no hesitation of paying the $65.00.

Ordnance, especially World War One dated ordnance is very difficult to find anywhere within 100 miles of my home.

Now, does anyone know what it is? The mouth is a bit uneven, so I would assume it has been cut down.

6 INCH.png

It is a 15 cm K16 (Kanone 16, or gun model of 1916) for the German army. Original dimensions would be 157x725R176. In inches 6.8"x28.5" so we can conclude is is slightly cut or maybe a small measurement error?

Slight measurement error. Casing is 28.5" long.

So, that is awesome that it is German. What marking(s) tell you that?

Also, how common are these over your way?

I am thinking the price I paid was a steal.

FN ist the factory "Fritz Neumeyer" in Nrnberg, Bavaria. HL is the acceptance stamp of the Hauptlaboratorium in Ingolstadt, Bavaria. AUG is August and 30 is the 30th delivery since production start in this factory. The primer comes from the Feuerwerkslaboratorium Spandau. In Europe these cases are relatively common but I think it's a very fair price for the U.S.

Last edited:
That is the gun indeed! These cases also exist of Belgium manufacture and German WW2 manufacture (but much harder to find).

Is the FN factory still standing?

Fritz Neumeyer produced ammunition, especially artillery cases until the end of WW2 (factory code P94) and was closed after the war. The Zndapp works a joint venture between Fr. Krupp, Gebr. Thiel and Fritz Neumeyer was founded during 1st WW to produce fuzes. After 1st WW it became a direct subsidary of Fr. Neumeyer and was very famous for the Zndapp motorbikes but it was also closed in the 1980's.