What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pdr 600 CWT AA HE PD a bit of tlc reqiured

Gspragge

Premium Member
I found this yesterday. These are around over here, but seldom with the yellow HE colour and almost never with the fuze.
It has been poorly kept and I must be careful cleaning it to remove some rust but not harm the paint. I don't
know if I will be able to shift the fuze due to possible corrosion in the threads. These fuzes have no area to get a firm
grip on and that is a problem. It has a dummy tracer element.

Got the fuze out -

Any preservation thoughts out there ?

I see most of these in the rust primer colour, a few in Drill white and only two in Yellow and one other was in Nato blue !

99% are with shipping cap and base transit plug.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 6.jpg
    IMG_0001 6.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0001 5.JPG
    IMG_0001 5.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0002 3.JPG
    IMG_0002 3.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0001 7.jpg
    IMG_0001 7.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
That's a nice bullet. That tracer is huge! I picked up a projectile and case from a cartridge collector in your area (Dennis Wright) about 25 years ago. The projectile was primer colored with shipping plug.

I think the best way to preserve it would be to send it to me! only joking, what a very nice find.

Seriusly though I'd give it a gently wash in warm soapy water and see if that takes offany dirt, then maybe a light wipe with a WD40 damped cloth, see what that does. always of course testing an area on the object that has least original paint.

The tracer is a solid plug in the shape of one dated 43. I wonder if when the filling was poured in that it was a form to make the proper pocket for the real one to fit into. If you got a 6Pr 600Cwt case, that was a rare find, I have only ever seen one other , 20 years ago too ---

I don't know but would it make sense the the tracer is the same as in the 40mm Bofors ? just guessing. At least this one wasn't made into a lamp like everything else I have found lately.

Dennis died a couple of years back, cancer.

I didn't set out to collect these at all, they just seem to accumulate like driftwood ! But I'm not finding any useful 37mm of late.

There was some slight corrosion at the tip of the fuze, I wonder what might return that greyish colour ?

Last edited: