What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pdr. MK lV VSM

Gspragge

Premium Member
also found today, as found. Now to find a case if I keep it.

Same thing used in WW! Tanks I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_9133.jpg
    IMG_9133.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9134.jpg
    IMG_9134.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9135.jpg
    IMG_9135.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 41
Hi Gordon,
Well done on finding that, yes your right they were used in WW1 Tanks, great stampings on it looks to be in really good condition all you need now is a Hotchkiss base fuze to finish it off. I may have a spare case for you i will have to have a look.
Best regards Weasel.

Good find Gordon, cases are reasonably easy to find on this side of the pond.
Dave.

Cleaned up well

I have seen one or two before over here, I would expect more over there.

There are no other marks on it. I looked and the MKlV & MKV projectiles are discussed in the 1905 treatise. The MK lV projectiles are water hardened with a slightly lower internal capacity than the MK V which is Oil hardened. So I guess it dates just pre 1905 and lingered on in service never used. With the size of the R.N. I imagine these got everywhere. No doubt a few were issued over here too.

I read some place that the Tank rounds were reduced charge and that the cases were blackened to indicate this versus the regular full charge Navel loading. But I do not know where I read this and cannot verify this.

A case would be of interest. There is a fine case on SA , but it is too early for this as it is a real Nordenfelt case (the same projectile with the Maxim/Nordenfelt monogram would be ideal for that one), a more common VSM would be a better match. I have seen the fuses offered now and again , MKlV Hotchkiss.

Attachments

• IMG_9137.jpg
    IMG_9137.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: