What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pounder Blank?

40mm Bofors Blank

6-pounder-blank.jpg

I've had this for probably @30 years, not very well up on 'the big stuff', but I think this is a fired 6Pdr blank....Oh no it isn't. No markings on the alloy base, wondered if anyone knows who might have produced this round. It appears to be red plastic and is one piece plus alloy base, painted blue and silver. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
View attachment 99008

I've had this for probably @30 years, not very well up on 'the big stuff', but I think this is a fired 6Pdr blank. No markings on the alloy base, wondered if anyone knows who might have produced this round. It appears to be red plastic, painted blue and silver. Thanks for any help

Hi, what calibre is it? It looks more like a Bofors 40mm judging by the base.

Could you show the headstamp please.

Dave.

Last edited:
It looks like a bofors 40/70 blank.

The blanks are 495mm long and the rim is 65mm dia

I have attached a picture of one in with some other 40/70 and 40/60 rounds

Attachments

• Bofors.jpg
    Bofors.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 31
It looks like a bofors 40/70 blank.

The blanks are 495mm long and the rim is 65mm dia

I have attached a picture of one in with some other 40/70 and 40/60 rounds

Wouldn't it be an L60 as its got a groove?
Just wondering, I'm non expert on blanks.
Dave.

Well spotted Dave,

The proportions look like a 40/60 rather than a 40/70

I hope the OP runs a tape over it, which should settle the question.

I was not aware of a blank of this type for 40/60. All the 40/60 blanks I've seen have been of the break up shot type.

Regards,

Will.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for assisting. The round is 435mm in length, and the alloy base has no headstamp, does this sound more like a L60?

Last edited:
Break Up I think were introduced by NWM in the Netherlands and I are now used extensively. The one pictured was the standard, everyday 40/60 Blank before. The gold tip I think is probably suspect though. They were normally just black plastic. Same thing was used for 40/70. These were used right throughout the 60''s and 70's... and maybe beyond. I first saw the NWM Break Up rounds at their factory in 1980 in s'Hertogenbosche.

I have a 40/60 break up projectile.

My camera is down so I can't post a picture, but it is dated 4/74 markings 40mmG Breakup Mk10/2.

I fired some of these in the mid 70's as a cadet.