What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 pounder casing

First off, I don't know my artillery shells/casings as well as I should. I've always concentrared my study to the area of grenades. I was once told by a collector friend that this 6 pounder casing was used in the WWI British big mark series tanks in the turret side guns. Just wondering if that is/could be a correct statement. I have had this casing for some time which is in excellent condition except the opening on the end is a bit flared, I assume from some klutz forcing the original projectile from the casing. Comments, etc....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 118.jpg
    Picture 118.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 50
Possibly

Hey Dano,

it is a 6pdr land service case as I can't see an 'N' anywhere denoting Naval use so there is a slight posibility of tank use, or as a coast gun etc

Yeah Ben, Sometimes i'll hold a piece, close my eyes and try and imagine it being used during the war. When I hold the 6 pounder casing I imagine it being loaded into a mark series tank. That is what i'd call wishful thinking. When it comes right down to it we never know if it made it anywhere near the war but with a little positive imagination and the knowledge it may have been in the usage you are hoping for then there you have it. I don't ever imagine a piece sitting in a storage box throughout the war. Imagination can be a wonderful thing....Dano