What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pounder date confirmation

john jonson

Hi all,
Im looking to confirm that the 6 pounders attached are dated:
183= Jan 1883, 72=1872.
If you can confirm this or set me straight id appreciate it.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and replying.
Best regards.

Attachments

• 20140611_203949.jpg
    20140611_203949.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 20140611_231146.jpg
    20140611_231146.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 74
Hi all,
Is my question too ridiculous to answer, as i don't believe that no one knows!
Id rather have "your question is too easy to deserve our attention" than nothing!
Please let me know, either way, and thank you all in advance!

No question is ridiculous- But for a usually easily answered question these markings don't
to me provide a simple and easy date from what I'm used to seeing.
To me 1872 and 1883 seem early for this gun, but I certainly stand to be
corrected on that one. Others here should be able to decipher this.

I have seen a few of these without the dates. I remember being told that they are WW1 era.

They are certainly a lot later than the 1870s or 1880s.

The MkIII case dates from about 1900 onwards I believe. The numbers 72 and 183 likely identify the inspector. The cases were filled with full charge only once (CF) and 1 in a circle indicates the use of a thin cap in the primer. Hope that is of some use.

Hi,the answer lies I think in what is not on the case! As far as im aware the gun was a naval weapon,later used in ww1 tanks,as these were land service,they were not stamped with an N. All the ones ive had were stamped K for Kynoch. So I believe they date from ww1 and were tank use. The same cases are also found with a ww2 date and screw in primer and were stamped with an N and were MKV,used in smaller naval vessels. The numbers as Bonnex says are not dates. Projectiles are harder to find,but cases are common.tig

Tank issue is pretty good, can you tell if the cases were darkened half way up ?

There is good information on the projectiles used in these, if you can't find it on the site email me.

Hi All,
Firstly, thank you all for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I really do appreciate it!

Im beginning to see why my own searches trawling the internet yielded nothing concrete. It seems very strange
that a cartridge case would have so little information stamped on it. If i ever come across a definitive answer ill let you know!

Again, thank you to you all for letting me pick your brains.
Best Regards!

Hi Gspragge,
There is no darkening on the cases. There is a uniform patina though this could have come after they received a polish many years ago.
Im a strange collector, the projectiles dont interest me nearly as much as the cases do. Lucky, as Ireland is very strict on complete rounds
being shipped in!