What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Pounder?

DEADLINE222

Although no markings are present, I assume this is a regular old 6 pounder?

Can you tell me anything about it?

How would it be painted?

DSCF5198.jpg

So all of you the are overflowing with information pertaining to 6 pounders are going to stand there and tell me that you don't know anything about my 6 pounder?

Really? :wavey:

Hi,i dont do 6, only 2 and 3 pounder,but yes your shell is a common shell,if it has no markings at all its not british as it would at minimum have an ordnance arrow and MK no. British fuzes are always clearly marked too. ie Mk of fuze, date and manufacturer. Im sure the flat top means its US.Is the fuze marked?? Tig.

Other than the "P" on the fuze, there is nothing stamped anywhere on the projectile.

So, regardless of the fuze, due to the lack of markings on the projectile, is it safe to assume it is off US origin?

The rotating band is Nordenfelt design. I've seen them stamped N for Nordenfelt, Nordenfelt Maxim stamped, VSM (Vickers & Sons Maxim) and unstamped. It was made by someone who copied the Nordenfelt design. I'm thinking European, most likely U.K. manufacture. The rotating band doesn't look U.S.

The U.S. 6 Pdrs have a solid band or a Hotchkiss style band with patent numbers stamped in the band grooves.

Last edited:
Since there are no stampings present, and the fuze has been converted to a plug, would be safe to paint this projectile as a practice round?

Reading in Treatise on Ammunition 1902, and it says that the 6 PDR common shell would have been filled with salt, with a yellow band painted around; followed by the word "salt" stenciled.

I am in intrigued with the idea of painting in the word "salt" on a projectile. Does anyone have a vintage photo of this phenomenon or a reference to a particular TM (or whatever the UK calls them)?

Practice shells have a flat tip, anything I have seen were black with a yellow band and no words, but most of these were solid so no filling.