What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60mm Brandt pneumatic mortar strip

This 60mm WW1 French Brandt pneumatic mortar shell came in on trade. I received it as you see in right picture, it had been painted silver. Out came the trusty spray stripper and underneath the silver is a gray/green finish that is about 50% there (left picture). Been wanting one of these Brandts for some time so was very glad to get it.....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 42
Zip Strip

I got this at the local hardware store, but a similar product called Strip eaze is available at wal mart. Spray it on, let it sit about 3 minutes then clean with a toothbrush. I started doing this when I collected German helmets. It was not uncommon to find a helmet cheap that had been painted over 4 or 5 times and then find a nice double decal Wermacht helmet underneath. This stripper removes 1 layer at a time, sprays on as a paste, is caustic so rubber gloves and a well ventilated area are the order of the day. Won't harm original coat...Dano

To give an idea of the small size of the 60mm Brandt pneumatic mortar projectile I have shown it next to a German WW1 Granatenwerfer projectile. Geez now I must have a 3 inch stokes!!!!!!!!!! Dano

Attachments

• Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Brandt Pneumatic Mortar

This photograph, taken in August 1918 would appear to be staged (ya think). The projectile is hanging out of the mortar barrel. i like it because it shows all the pieces including the air tank....Dano

Attachments

• Picture%20727.jpg
    Picture%20727.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 31