What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60mm Mortar round needs wire safety ring for fuse....

Kilroy

I have a 1943 60mm mortar round that is missing the fuse safety wire, or ring....I am not sure what they would be called in the service. Does anybody have one of these they would be willing to sell ?

Also, a trivia question on the topic....In " Saving Private Ryan " Tom Hanks and Pvt. Ryan I think are pulling out these safety wires, smashing the back end by the fins, and throwing the round at the enemy. I suppose this is possible to be done, but it is probably discouraged. Does anyone know what they are doing? They obviously are ready to explode by the actions they take, but is this done in reality or is this just Hollywood excitement?

Thanks,
Kilroy

Attachments

• 60mm 1943 Mortar.jpg
    60mm 1943 Mortar.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 41
According to various manuals, and depending on the fuze (it's not a 'fuse') model, it can be a 'cotter pin' (a split pin in UK terminology), or a 'safety wire'.

In both cases this pin/wire blocks the movement of a spring-loaded setback pin. This setback pin in turn stops the movement of a spring-loaded safety pin, and this in turn blocks the spring-loaded detonator slider's movement.

Operation

Before use the pin/wire is removed and the mortar bomb (shell in US terminology at the time) is dropped down the barrel of the mortar.

On impact with the firing pin assembly in the base of the tube (well in the tube's base sealing cap) the percussion primer in the mortar bomb's ignition cartridge is initiated, its output igniting the smokeless propellent held within it.

The high pressure and temperature gaseous output of the ignition cartridge eventually breaks its cardboard walls. The gases then exit via the vents in the tail boom, igniting any augmenting charges present between the tail fins.

The gases from the ignition cartridge and or additional gases from the augmenting charges pressurise the area around the tail area of the bomb until it overcomes gravity (the bombs weight) and friction of the bomb with the tube's sidewalls.

At this point the bomb is rapidly accelerated up the tube's bore. The high setback force (acceleration) the fuze experiences causes the spring-loaded setback pin to move back against its freeing the spring-loaded safety pin.

The now free spring-loaded safety pin moves outwards (perpendicular to the axis of the bomb/bore) until it rests against the inner surface of the bore. This stops the spring-loaded detonator slider's movement whilst in the bore.

On exit from the bore, the spring-loaded safety pin is freed and pushed by its spring fully out of the fuze.

This frees the spring-loaded detonator slider, which is pushed across to its arming position by its spring. This aligns its stab-sensitive detonator below the striker assembly and its firing pin, and above a tetryl high explosive lead (transfer) charge.

At this point a slider lock pin is pushed, by its own spring, up and into a hole/notch the detonator slider, locking the slider in place.

The fuze is now fully armed.

Images

M52 PD Fuze Internal Components - 1.jpg

M52 PD Fuze Internal Components - 2.jpg

Film adaptation

To circumvent the fuze's safety features, as per Saving Private Ryan, the cotter (split) pin or safety wire is first removed.

The base of the bomb (shell) tail fins are then struck against a hard surface, making sure the percussion primer isn't struck.

If the acceleration is high enough, the spring-loaded setback pin moves back against its spring and frees the spring-loaded safety pin.

As the bomb isn't within the mortar's barrel, the spring-loaded safety pin would ping off to the side, freeing the spring-loaded detonator slider.

This rapidly moves into its armed position and is locked into place by slider lock pin.

At this point the fuze is armed.

Now armed, a strong enough impact with the striker cap, and hence striker assembly below it, will compress its spring and drive the striker's firing pin into the stab-sensitive detonator in the slider.

This initiates the detonator, its output initiates the lead, the lead initiates the booster charge, and the booster charge initiates the bomb's main high explosive filling.

Obviously you do not want to bang the striker cap on anything once armed and you'd need to throw the bomb so its trajectory is correct and that its impact speed is high enough to initiate the fuze.

I decided to make a few and offer them for sale. They took much longer to make than I recall. I had to throw away the first half dozen till I got in the groove again.

Attachments

• Reproduction US Mortar Fuze Safety Wire.jpg
    Reproduction US Mortar Fuze Safety Wire.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Making Fuze Safety Wire.jpg
    Making Fuze Safety Wire.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for this reply M8Owner, 2 pictures are very helpful! Indeed, having been a tool& die maker for umpteenth years, I should think this idea would occur to me, but as tools are made in so many ways, if your particular niche did not have much call for wires bent to precision shapes, it might be a long day arriving at the simple and direct solution.

Omigod! Never worked in ordnance manufacturing, but have worked as a programmer/machinist on many types of machinery. I would have to say that having looked at quite a few artillery fuze prints, any mechanical fuze , even the fairly simple Z30 fuze of the Flak18 AAA 88mm projectile is quite a work of complexity. I am sure there are many fuzes out there with even more complex designs. Excluding the VT fizes, which are in a class all their own. I think I understood all you spoke of, but it's like a Swiss watch in some of the complexities.

M8owner, what was the diameter of the pipe you found worked best for your safety wire?

I can see pretty well it is not very large, possibly 1 inch in diameter?