What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60mm

Lou

Im not a mortar collecter.As usual when one doesnt collect something,that tends to be the thing one finds most common and for the cheapest price.Its got a bit of rust and some chips on the bakeolite G.E. fuze but its complete,including the fuze internals.The box photo is where I found it burried,and paid $10.00 for it.

60mm M49A2 lot MMC 109 1943 w/crossed cannons

These other two I have no idea about,except they are 80mm,and they are unmarked.Help?

Attachments

• DCP00497.JPG
    DCP00497.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Shells 015.jpg
    Shells 015.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 128
  • fuse n mortar.jpg
    fuse n mortar.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 117
The 60mm is a nice one. It is a WWII factory dummy round with "inert loaded" markings in white over a black base coat. I've always thought these were an interesting variation and quite hard to find.

The 81mm round on the left is European, a French practice, I think. and the fuzeless one on the right looks like a 1950s production U.S. M43 HE body, or perhaps a practice type. They made the body a one piece unit and did away with the fuze adapter in 50s production. Unless it came out of the factory as an unfinished round, it should have information roll stamped around the middle of the body.

Thanks for the info ORD.It is funny though.As for the 81mm there isnt one mark,letter or number stamped anywhere on the body.Thats why it kinda threw me,Ive never seen one so blank like this.Well hopefully,I can get rid of the french one,sell or trade it for a decent 50s fuze for the US one.Would any of you guys suggest a repaint to make the 60mm practice round into an HE?

Lou,

Like I suggested earlier, most of the U.S. items I've had or seen that were devoid of stamped markings where there should have been some, were items that left the manufacturing plant as souvenirs or samples before being finished. That's certainly not a 100% rule, but what I've normally observed. I have a 60mm white phosphorus mortar shell that also has no roll-stamp markings. When I asked the guy I bought it from, he mentioned that his father was a War Department inspector who worked in the plant where they were made.

Regarding your 60mm round, it really isn't a practice round but an inert loaded dummy round, and intended for different purposes. They did make blue painted practice rounds during the war with small black powder spotter charges and live propellent cartridges. Your round is a unique and legitimate variation as-is and I would strongly recommend against repainting it.

I've always felt repainting ordnance is a sort of personal thing. I know collectors who repaint EVERYTHING so their collection looks very fresh and uniform. This, somtimes, in spite of finding a scarce round in 90% original paint and markings, a real treasure to me but not quite perfect enough for them. And I know collectors who never repaint ANYTHING, preferring to leave each new item exactly as found to preserve its history and the path it took to get to its current condition.

I'm somewhere in between. I'd never repaint a 90% round but if something turns up that's a 30% or 40% condition piece, I'll consider a careful repaint and restoration of the markings if I feel a faithful job can be done and the color can be matched closely. Each item should be considered on a case by case basis, IMHO.

In your case, consider that there are a LOT more inert HE 60mm shells out there than original black and white inert loaded specimens. I have a nice example like yours in my collection now but could probably find a spare HE to trade for another before seeing it painted. Just my free internet opinion though. When the dust settles, it's still your round and you can do what you please with it, especially for the bargain price it was acquired for.

Well I'll take your advice and not molest it with a repaint.Like I said,Im not a mortar guy,but I had to pick them up just due the the price.Ive gotten them all pulled out of storeage and I think Im going to list them for trade or sale,but Im not sure.I would like to just have one for display and Im considering which one I should keep.Oh and by the way,upon closer inspection,the green US 81mm that I said was unmarked,does have markings.It has two x's,like this "XX" and a little flaming bomb ord mark as well as a c stamped into the bottom where the tail section screws in.Thanks for your help and info.