What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

67 Clocks Before and After

satan18

Hear we have the last of the 67 movements that i have decided to
give the full treatment to.

Unless you are lucky enough to find a mint example then you have to restore them yourself,and this is the results from a painstaking time i had
with minature screw drivers and magnified eye lenses.

I am still awaiting yet a better one still from my watch maker who unfortunately didnt have it ready for me last weekend.

This has given me an insite into the mechanics of these things and have come to the conclusion that they can actually be set for ten minute intervals and dont have to run the full 30 minutes.

This is before and after shot which hopefully pics out what 60 years in the ground does to movements,and what can be done with a bit of time and care.

This winds up through the top casing being rotated and will tick quite well.

Attachments

• Before and after 67 024.jpg
    Before and after 67 024.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Before and after 67 014.jpg
    Before and after 67 014.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Before and after 67 015.jpg
    Before and after 67 015.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Before and after 67 008.jpg
    Before and after 67 008.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Before and after 67 012.jpg
    Before and after 67 012.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 60
Phil that's brilliant. I think its safe to say that anyone vaguely interested in butterfly bombs or German fuzes would really like one like that. Thanks for posting the photos.
Dave.

Phil that's brilliant. I think its safe to say that anyone vaguely interested in butterfly bombs or German fuzes would really like one like that. Thanks for posting the photos.
Dave.

Thanks Dave

I was determined to get at least one ticking and restored which i am fortunate to have.

Many thanks phil

Dave.

Aye,another excellent project.
Well done Phil. :) Anything else like this coming up mate?

cheers

waff

Aye,another excellent project.
Well done Phil. :) Anything else like this coming up mate?

cheers

waff

Cheers mate

I have got some prety heavy restoration projects coming up which i have already started.

I am currently acumilating spares and all the hard to get bits to restore
10 Elaz 17As of mixed types ie steel bodied epattern 1940 pattern alloy
body and plastic sleeve variant,oh and my 17B which is already done and ticking:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Watch this space

Best phil

67 Clocks Before and After
Hear we have the last of the 67 movements that i have decided to
give the full treatment to...........

Yet again Phil very impressive!! Love the before and after shots, really shows what can be done. I can see a lot of time and effort has gone into cleaning that fuze, fantastic end result. Well done!!
regards
Kev

Yet again Phil very impressive!! Love the before and after shots, really shows what can be done. I can see a lot of time and effort has gone into cleaning that fuze, fantastic end result. Well done!!
regards
Kev

Thanks Kev
Finally mastered setting and running the mechanism and have gone as far as i can with it,these mechanisms were of high and low grade metals which i suppose would make sense owing to there one way trip.

All the firing components are of polished steel with a pre balanced staff ,as most clock and watch movements were balaced with rubys or emeralds or even diamonds including the top and bottom pivots for the staff which is the spinning wheel with the coil spring on the top,and were termed as end stone pivots.
Not viable in butterfly bomb fuses so they had to make everything functionable at low cost.

Best phil

Last edited:
Cheers mate

I have got some prety heavy restoration projects coming up which i have already started.

I am currently acumilating spares and all the hard to get bits to restore
10 Elaz 17As of mixed types ie steel bodied epattern 1940 pattern alloy
body and plastic sleeve variant,oh and my 17B which is already done and ticking:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Watch this space

Best phil

Will be good to see all the 17's together Phil. :)
Im proud to know that ive helped you out acquiring at least 3 of them therefore no-one should think you are 'winding' the lads up with BS pics.
Good on ya mate and im sure we have many years of trading and having the general criac together pal!

Prost!!

best

Waff

great job

Fantastic work Phil, I don't have the eyesight, patience or fortitude to do such intricate work. Another fine job..Dano

Fantastic work Phil, I don't have the eyesight, patience or fortitude to do such intricate work. Another fine job..Dano

Thanks Dano

Very Hard work with little things like these,and as you say it makes the eyes work overtime.

Always a pleasure Dano

Best phil