What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

67 Timed Delay All Done

satan18

I got of early today so,while it was a struggle to either go to Tescos
or finish the Fuse then no competition:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

All went well on final painting and then came reasembly.

There is a slightly bigger section taken out from the top,but thats only because of a bit of rot that had to be cut out.

There arnt to many decent 67s about so i had to spruce these up a bit but
i am quite happy.

Tommorow i am picking up what can only be described as a brand new
67 movement.
I had to bow down to my watch maker friend who took the best movement
He has transforment it including a hand made mainspring which allows the mech to run for 32 minutes and then you get the little hammer doing its stuff,but then you have to reset the spring and hammer to run it again.

I have just one selected 67 body left which is going to get this movement,and will post it asp

Best phil

Attachments

• 67 section finished 016.jpg
    67 section finished 016.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 67 section finished 017.jpg
    67 section finished 017.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 67 section finished 020.jpg
    67 section finished 020.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 67 section finished 019.jpg
    67 section finished 019.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 67 section finished 027.jpg
    67 section finished 027.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
67 Timed Delay All Done

I have been following this thread from the begining and was looking forward to seeing the results-yet again Phil, very impressive. Think you have a knack for cutaways!!
Very nice to see!
are you going to put the working clock into one of the cutaways so you can see it running?, that would be good!! Also, how do you wind the mainspring in a 67 fuze?
cheers
Kev

I have been following this thread from the begining and was looking forward to seeing the results-yet again Phil, very impressive. Think you have a knack for cutaways!!
Very nice to see!
are you going to put the working clock into one of the cutaways so you can see it running?, that would be good!! Also, how do you wind the mainspring in a 67 fuze?
cheers
Kev
Hi Kev
Thanks for that:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

The 67 has no winding mechanisn as such and is wound in the factory.
The spring is attached to the outer casing by means of a small tang,and that is attached to the central spindle by the same means.
If you release the three small screws on the mainspring cover then you can rotate the cover and in turn put tension on the mainspring.
Then when it is taught then you put the cover back down with three screws and it is ready to go,(wound up).

The hammer has to be re set on its locking cam which is pre determined by rotation of thirty minutes until release point.

They are such cleaver little things that at the time only the German clock makers and mechanical toy makers could have devised such a simple but effective clockwork killer.

Best phil

Just to add some more gen on the 67 clocks,
Faced with the timer having ticked away for 30 minutes i watched the double v cam move around the central spindle being interupet by two
knotches which on each knotch moves the release cam for the hammer,a bit further round.

Each knotch represents 15 minutes in time,so by the time it has passed
the two knotches then the hammer is almost free to spring.

Now while holding the movement and with the time elapsed there is a point on the cam were spring preasure on the hammer will take over and even after the cam was free the hammer had to think about moving for a milli second which caught me out whist filming it.

It just shows that even after all this time and with a clean movement
there could be that point were someone was a fraction of a second from death,and you had to be sure the clock had run for 30+ minutes but could you be so sure?.

The best bit is that for something that was destined for a one way ticking session there is a holding screw for the cam which allows you to reset the timer cam!!!! Theres German engineering for you

Superb write up Phil,good on ya pal! :)
As per the telecon this morning,im surprised that the clocks could indeed be re-wound?
Its a bonus for demonstration purposes.
You should be chuffed to bits with these resto-projects mate.:top:

best

waff

Superb write up Phil,good on ya pal! :)
As per the telecon this morning,im surprised that the clocks could indeed be re-wound?
Its a bonus for demonstration purposes.
You should be chuffed to bits with these resto-projects mate.:top:

best

waff
Thanks paul

They were so simple but over engineered which i suppose made them reliable to a point:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

Faced with the timer having ticked away for 30 minutes i watched the double v cam move around the central spindle being interupet by two
knotches which on each knotch moves the release cam for the hammer,a bit further round.........

Great observation study of a ticking 67 clock Phil. Never fails to impress me the level of engineering that goes into the construction of a fuze like this and all as you say for a one way ticket. The inginuety behind it is amazing. In the write ups on the Grimsby raid the 67's failed to function properly due to a burr on one of the cog wheels, thus when they were picked up by the unwary, the clocks began to tick again-some people had lucky escapes and others were not so lucky. Thus the 67 became much more of a menace. As for the delay time, (as you quite rightly say), do you give it 30 minutes or maybe that extra bit?!!!
Great write up
cheers
Kev

knotches which on each knotch moves the release cam for the hammer,a bit further round.

Each knotch represents 15 minutes in time,so by the time it has passed
the two knotches then the hammer is almost free to spring.

Now while holding the movement and with the time elapsed there is a point on the cam were spring preasure on the hammer will take over and even after the cam was free the hammer had to think about moving for a milli second which caught me out whist filming it.

It just shows that even after all this time and with a clean movement
there could be that point were someone was a fraction of a second from death,and you had to be sure the clock had run for 30+ minutes but could you be so sure?.

The best bit is that for something that was destined for a one way ticking session there is a holding screw for the cam which allows you to reset the timer cam!!!! Theres German engineering for you

You mentioned "filming it" is this available for all to see anywhere ??

You mentioned "filming it" is this available for all to see anywhere ??

Hi
At the moment it is sitting in my mobile phone as a short clip.
i will be filming it again once i have fitted a fully working mainspring and can re film it using a better camera.

We need to be able to upload movie clips on BOCN which would make it more entertaining.

best phil

Hi
At the moment it is sitting in my mobile phone as a short clip.
i will be filming it again once i have fitted a fully working mainspring and can re film it using a better camera.

We need to be able to upload movie clips on BOCN which would make it more entertaining.

best phil

oh go on.... Stick it on youtube for now, the 17 you have too! :bigsmile:

I suggest a suggestion in the suggestion section about getting uploads for this sort of thing.Then i will be able to show you my ticking 17 clocks also. :)

best
waff

I suggest a suggestion in the suggestion section about getting uploads for this sort of thing.Then i will be able to show you my ticking 17 clocks also. :)

best
waff

I second that nomination pal
some funny moments from beltring would be good:aetsch:

Best phil