What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6pr 6cwt query

SG500

Premium Member
The attached photographs show a WW1 6 pounder shell case.

The writing on the side of the case says 6pr 6cwt and a 1940 date.

Just a couple of queries. Was the WW1 case for a 6pr 6cwt? I'm sure someone on the forum mentioned that it was. If it wasn't is it possible that they did experiments using old cases for the 6pr 6cwt experimental project in the 1940's - clearly the WW2 final 6pr 6cwt case is completely different to this WW1 type case.

Dave.

Attachments

• 20 Nov 09 111.jpg
    20 Nov 09 111.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 20 Nov 09 112.jpg
    20 Nov 09 112.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20 Nov 09 113.jpg
    20 Nov 09 113.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 145
Its for the short barreled first world tank gun.
The guns were reused in WW2 for home defence, mounted in pillboxes, armoured trains etc.

BOCN Hotchkiss.jpg

6 PR Hotchkiss pillbox on the east coast.

Ah ----- ha

I notice that it is darkened part way up the case, It is indeed what has been stated, these have a reduced charge from the navel loading due to the barrels being shorter. It didn't make much difference as the firing ranges were shorter. With the original darkening is to identify it as a reduced charge, it is for sure a Tank issued case and must be a rare item, once polished up it would not be possible to identify one from a standard Navy issue --

Thanks for the info Quatermass and Gordon, don't worry this one won't be polished up. It has a thin but well done coat of varnish on the case - that's probably why its survived so well.
Dave.

Q,

You are quiet right, E signifies AP AND Steel. I, for reasons best known to myself, thought they were one of the same. From what I've just learnt a 'Steel' is a 'Common' made of steel not cast iron.

Regards

Tim

Q,

You are quiet right, E signifies AP AND Steel. I, for reasons best known to myself, thought they were one of the same. From what I've just learnt a 'Steel' is a 'Common' made of steel not cast iron.

Regards

Tim

Thats right Tim, in modern parlance a steel shell would be described as SAP.

Likely the same as

The MK lV VSM projectile I posted a while back or more likely a MKV , though it seems there are numerious MKs , if you can find a WW1 dated projectile or Canister that would be best. Does stencilling mean it was refilled or re inspected ?