What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6pr 7cwt Mk 1 APDS drill round.

SG500

Premium Member
I got this one today, its a bit rough but I've never seen another on like it so was happy to get it.
Its marked as a Mk 1 APDS drill and dated 1945.
Did they do a Mk 2 APDS drill and if so what's it look like?
Dave.

Attachments

• New shells 001.jpg
    New shells 001.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 101
  • New shells 002.jpg
    New shells 002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 76
  • New shells 003.jpg
    New shells 003.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 85
  • New shells 004.jpg
    New shells 004.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 61
Hi Dave,
What a great piece, i have not seen seen one of those before either. A really great addition to your collection.
Best regards Weasel.

Thanks Weasel, yes I'm struggling to find out any more information on this one.
Dave.

Only thing that comes up is wow. That is very rare piece of ammo you got there.

Regards

DM

Dave that is a really excellent item...thanks for posting the pictures.

I am going to show my ignorance here but why a APDS drill round? I would have assumed a drill round was just to practice loading drill so a simple AP designed round would do the same job.

PC

I am going to show my ignorance here but why a APDS drill round? I would have assumed a drill round was just to practice loading drill so a simple AP designed round would do the same job.

PC

Thanks PC. I've got no idea in response to your question, perhaps that's why its quite rare. I've seen 20 pounders in apds drill version so they did exist in other calibres.
Dave.

Different profile

PC

I think the answer to your question lies in the "shape" of the projectile being different.
It would be very easy to load a nicely rounded AP drill round into the weapon but no so easy to load an odd shaped projectile that has a lip on it as this will tend to hit various Breech parts on the way in causing possible damage and delay in loading to what is a "precision" projectile-just my pennies worth.