What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.5cm tungsten core

StielGr

Just arrived today.....a new projectile for collection. The German 7.5cm Pzgr40 tungsten core/Hartkern for the KwK40 and Pak40 guns.

As far as I can tell these are extremely rare as there was only a few issued to each tank/anti-tank gun. They were used to deal with big things like the KV-1.

I have added some pictures with the normal Pzgr39 just as a comparison. It doesn't look very exciting :boring: but I never dreamed of owning one so I am extremely happy :beer::dancing:
PC

Attachments

• 7.5cm Pzgr40 [1.1].JPG
    7.5cm Pzgr40 [1.1].JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 7.5cm Pzgr40 [1.2].JPG
    7.5cm Pzgr40 [1.2].JPG
    58 KB · Views: 86
  • 7.5cm [1.3].JPG
    7.5cm [1.3].JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 7.5cm [1.4].JPG
    7.5cm [1.4].JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 84
Good job my friend.

Its always a treat when you can add somthing to the collection that is rare....and juicy....!!!

Thank you Glen
The complement is much appreciated.

Like all good things the chase is all part of the fun.

Nice addition

An "extra" nice addition to any collection, I will not embarass you by asking how much except to say well done on obtaining an item such as this which really makes the price irrelevant.

Just arrived today.....a new projectile for collection. The German 7.5cm Pzgr40 tungsten core/Hartkern for the KwK40 and Pak40 guns.

As far as I can tell these are extremely rare as there was only a few issued to each tank/anti-tank gun. They were used to deal with big things like the KV-1.

I have added some pictures with the normal Pzgr39 just as a comparison. It doesn't look very exciting :boring: but I never dreamed of owning one so I am extremely happy :beer::dancing:
PC

Very very nice. Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

bigger stuff

Very impressive shell StielGr, would be a welcome addition to any collection. I am getting a huge appreciation of what i'll call the bigger stuff and this is certainly no exception. Great find...Dano

Wow....I didn't think I had been away that long. Thank you to everyone that has posted and for all the interest. It is always good to generate a good discussion about an item.

@Chris...I understand what you mean about the price. It was difficult for me as I had never seen one for sale before. All I can say is as long as I have a collection it will be part of it.

@Rick...Strange you should mention the weight. I soon as I received the parcel I was surprised how light it was. I had assumed it would be heavy so I had to go and check the manual but I see all the details have been listed already...cheers.
The tungsten part is heavy but the rest of the material is very light.

PC

Looked at the pic again. Smaller size noted. Always thought tungsten was very heavy, in comparison. Still, a really nice find.

Rick, tungsten is really heavy for its size but this projectile is cored and I assume has some dead space around the core to make the overall weight lighter - its not solid tungsten if that would the case it just wouldn't go anywhere fast when fired. That's the idea of arrowhead projectiles - most of the metal is cut away just leaving full calibre surfaces at the front and rear of the projectile and the bit in the middle contains a small core but overall the projectile is very light. The problem with them is although they go very fast for the first few hundred metres they then slow down more quickly than a full calibre non cored round at greater range.
Hope this helps.
Dave.

Pzgr40 has very kindly given his permission for me to add a picture from his collection. It is the sectioned 7.5cm Pzgr40 and should help explain the construction of the projectile.

If you are interested in more detailed info you can check out the original post on wk2:
http://www.wk2ammo.com/showthread.php?t=2377

Thank you once again DJH.

Attachments

• 7,5cm PzGr[1].Patr.40 fr Kwk40.jpg
    7,5cm PzGr[1].Patr.40 fr Kwk40.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 56