What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.62 with headstamp IMPERIAL

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone tell me anything about some cases I was given it is 7.62 with Imperial headstamp is it military or civilian I think it is Canadian manufacture anything else you can tell me about it.

many thanks
Richard.

Imperial

These are Canadian commercial rounds. Imperial is a trade name of Industrie Valcartier (IVI) who bought the old Dominion Cartridge Company from Canadian Industries Ltd.

Regards
TonyE

7.62mm Imperial

I am just curious if the calibre is stamped on the headstamp? Wouldn't Imperial denote commercial (civilian) ammo and therefore be .308? Military ammo would have the IVI headstamp and 7.62mm.

Imperial

Why do I bother answering your question if you are going to ignore the information I provide?

And no, ammocat, military 7.62mm ammumition made by IVI will not have "7.62" in the headstamp. The headstamp of IVI military ammo is "IVI" with the last two digits of the date and the NATO acceptance mark of a cross in circle. It is not usual for the calibre to be included in the headstamp of military ammunition.

Regards
TonyE

Why do I bother answering your question if you are going to ignore the information I provide?

And no, ammocat, military 7.62mm ammumition made by IVI will not have "7.62" in the headstamp. The headstamp of IVI military ammo is "IVI" with the last two digits of the date and the NATO acceptance mark of a cross in circle. It is not usual for the calibre to be included in the headstamp of military ammunition.

Regards
TonyE

??????????????? I did not ignore the information provided ???????????

Richard.

Imperial Headstamp

TonyE, my intent was not to contradict or question the information that you provided, my intent was to clarify in my own mind whether cartridges cases with Imperial on the headstamp would be strictly .308 or if there was commercial 7.62mm with this headstamp.

You are correct about the military headstamps having manufactures monogram, NATO Design Mark, and last two digits of the year of manufacture. My mistake.

I will check, I think they may say .308 so they would be civi then wouldnt they

cheers
Richard.

I made my (admittedly grumpy) remark because I had given fairly full details about the Imperial commercial brand, yet you were checking with ammocat that they were "civi" based on whether they were headstamped .308 or 7.62mm.

Regards
TonyE

I made my (admittedly grumpy) remark because I had given fairly full details about the Imperial commercial brand, yet you were checking with ammocat that they were "civi" based on whether they were headstamped .308 or 7.62mm.

Regards
TonyE

Tony, I am very new to all this forum thing and all I had done was in my mind "which is not the brightest mind" both comments were that it was a .308 civi cartridge, I just thought I would check if it had any calibre stampings on the base. I would not ignore anything someone had tacken the time to give me info on.

I daren’t ask about the other ones I have got with what look's like arabic writing stamped on the bottom I will try and post a photo of them both

many thanks to both of you for helping me out.
Cheers
Richard.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Last edited:
Grumps

Please do not lose heart and please ask away. I must have been in a particularly curmudgeonly mood this morning (some say how could one tell)
so no offense meant.

I have been at this silly business for over forty years and I tend to forget that everyone has to start somewhere.

Please post your Arabic headstamped items and I and the others here will do our best to identify them for you.

Regards
tonye