What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75 mm shrapnel

25pounder

To restore some Belgian WW1 shrapnell shells , made by EP , I 'm looking for information about colour schemes,
Thanks for helping!

I'm assuming the shrapnel in question is for the Belgian "Canon de 75 modèle 1905 à tir rapide Krupp". This type of gun only had a single type of shrapnel which was painted originally in dark red like the French shrapnel of the era and then in medium blue as per the German fashion. They didn't have any markings.

I'm enclosing some more information on this shell in French, from a document called "Les munitions du canon Belge de 75mm" (The ammunition of the Belgian 75mm cannon) - please note that the shell was painted in a single shade of medium blue for the whole distance between the fuze and driving band, and that the differently shaded bands visible in the drawing are for "artistic" reasons.

Attachments

• Les munitions du canon belge de 75 mm_Page_11.jpg
    Les munitions du canon belge de 75 mm_Page_11.jpg
    647 KB · Views: 57
  • Les munitions du canon belge de 75 mm_Page_09.jpg
    Les munitions du canon belge de 75 mm_Page_09.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Les munitions du canon belge de 75 mm_Page_10.jpg
    Les munitions du canon belge de 75 mm_Page_10.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 54
No offense, but are you sure about the authenticity of the paint?

In my opinion I'm sure about both having original red brown mattish colour. I recieved them being painted in black. After asking muliple opinions about original colour, I got confirmed that they should be red/brown. The left shell was a hell of a job to remove the upper layer of black paint , the right shell was piece of cake to strip from its upper layer.