What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm Case ID

archmoco

Hello, my first post in a long time!

I was hoping someone could help confirm markings on the bottom of this 75mm shell case that was brought up in a trawlers net

Best regards
Michael

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_191819.jpg
    IMG_20210619_191819.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 81
Hello, my first post in a long time!

I was hoping someone could help confirm markings on the bottom of this 75mm shell case that was brought up in a trawlers net

Best regards
Michael

Many thanks unfortunately its the only photo i have at the moment but will try and get more. I was wondering what the '78 TACCo 48' refers to. Plus any idea what this symbol/stamp isIMG_20210620_095939.jpg

Many thanks in advance

The crossed cannon symbol is for the USA Army Ordnance Department - they supplied ammo etc .
The case looks like the 75x350R used in tanks and field artillery. Lot is cancelled so possibly reloaded? Not sure of the year. I wait for others to answer.

It is a US made 75x350mm for the US version of the Model 1897 Schneider field gun, the main French field gun of WW1. Typically the US cases have no clear date, if you are lucky the primer is dated. Interesting fact is the CF marking on the case, which indicates Commonwealth usage.