What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm German projectile ID

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I'm trying to positively ID this 75mm projectile. There are markings under the paint but they are not readable. I have assumed that it is an HE Type 34 ( Sprgr. Patr. KWK 34, also used in Pak 40 ). Is this correct? If so I would expect it to be painted green not yellow - is it because it is an early example? Would it be fuzed with an AZ 23? Thanks in advance for any information.

20211208_145707.jpg20211208_145729.jpg

As far as I know Gr34 has a different shape and needs an adapter and a small fuze KlAz23.
Did you try an AZ23 in the thread ?
I thought to 7.5 rot but there is something bothering me with this shell but I don't know what (the shape, the band ?).
The yellow paint seems to be original (?).
What is the length ?

Last edited:
Do you have some dimensions and a view of inside the projectile, which shows its internal cavity?

The sectional and dimensional diagram of the 75 mm K.Gr rot (Bo. Stg.) below is a close match.

K.Gr rot (Bo. Stg.) 75 mm HE projectile Sectional Diagram - 1.png

Can you take a side shot of the lower half of the projectile, the band is bothering me a little also, but it could just be the angle of the photo.
Also, are there any stamped markings on the projectile body or band?
Rich

That has to be some kind of export shell due to the driving band. That is not the correct "skirt" style KPS band for a K. gr. rot.

What you have is the 7,5 cm Sprgr L/4,8 for the 7,5 cm FK 38. This Krupp gun was made for export to Brasil. Only 64 guns were delivered to Brasil. About 80 guns were kept in Germany and altered for use by the German army.
These HE shells were also meant for export and fitted with the AZ 23 and a brass case which was marked 75 mm C/34.
When the ammunition intended for export was used up a German cartridge was developed consisting of a steel case (case nr. 6385 St) and the K.Gr. rot KPS or FES. There was also a cartridge with the hollow charged 7,5 cm Gr. 38 Hl/B or Hl/C.

Attachments

• 7a - 2.jpg
    7a - 2.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 7,5 cm FK 38 cartr.jpg
    7,5 cm FK 38 cartr.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 7,5 cm FK 38 hdst.jpg
    7,5 cm FK 38 hdst.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 34
Thanks to all, and I think Grief has nailed it! Just to confirm, the paint is original, the AZ 23 fits perfectly and there are markings under the paint which are unreadable.

One FK 38 survived in the collection of the Dutch Military Museum.

Attachments

• FK 38 NMM.jpg
    FK 38 NMM.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 37