What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm Model Unk

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
This was saved from the demo pit last week when I spotted it in a scrap pile. The guys there could not recall the curcumstances of its recovery.

It appears to be a 75mm MK I Shrapnel with a training model of a fuze that is designed to look like the 1907M (but maybe I'm wrong and someone has some info on it). There is a small retaining screw just belowe the fuze projectile junction.

Any ideas? It will get de-rusted next week when I am back in the office.

Attachments

• 75mm Unk.jpg
    75mm Unk.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 115
Don't know about the projo, but I've got a similar fuze on another item. It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be. Did you get my PM?

75mm model unk...

Hello Eodtek,

From the position of the single retaining crimp machined into the projectile base, I would say that it's a WWI Russian. The U.S. manufactured millions of these for export. I'm not sure of the fuze...

Best regards,

Randall

Hello Eodtek,

From the position of the single retaining crimp machined into the projectile base, I would say that it's a WWI Russian. The U.S. manufactured millions of these for export. I'm not sure of the fuze...

Best regards,

Randall

If that's the case then it's probably 76.2mm no? It would fit the area as this was recovered in PA and production of some of the the 76.2 projos was done in NJ in the early 1900's (we used to get a bunch of them when I was at Dix).

That at least gives me a direction to look. Thanks!

Hello Eodtek,

You're correct, the WWI Russian projectiles were 76mm/3-inch. I've included a couple diagrams of the Russian shells showing the position of their crimping grove. I believe the fuze must be an aluminum/zinc dummy training type.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• 20080111135435!USRussianGermanFrenchBritShrapnelShells.jpg
    20080111135435!USRussianGermanFrenchBritShrapnelShells.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Shrapnel_Burst_Diagram_English.jpg
    Shrapnel_Burst_Diagram_English.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 42
Any markings on base? Before and during WW1 Russia purchased a lot of weaponry from USA. Basically they had their own inspectors at the factories to inspect and accept the items before shipping. In all US-made Russian ordnance I have seen here have had a cyrillic "P" acceptance stamp.

Randall,

Thanks for the diagrams. I'll add the crimp info to the little database in my head. I've also got a US 75mm MK I sitting at the office so I will try to do a comparison photo.

Any markings on base? Before and during WW1 Russia purchased a lot of weaponry from USA. Basically they had their own inspectors at the factories to inspect and accept the items before shipping. In all US-made Russian ordnance I have seen here have had a cyrillic "P" acceptance stamp.

I have not removed the rust yet so I haven't been able to look for any markings. That will happen next week or the week after when I am back in the office.

Here a fuze manufactured in USA for Russia in 1916. See Russian proof marking ( cyrillic P ) after maker's name as well as a few cyrillic alphabets on side.

This fuze came to me together with this 76,2mm schrapnell shell but as they both are fired I don't know if they originally have been together, anyway they fit perfectly.

Can someone tell me more about the shell? I can't identify the markings on it's base and it looks like there would be some Russian markings, too.
The shell (without fuze ) is 227mm long. Distance from base to driving band is 37mm and from base to crimping groove 12mm.
The shell has some stencilled markings below rust and I'll try to get them visible later on.

Attachments

• 76,2mm-1.jpg
    76,2mm-1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 76,2mm-2.jpg
    76,2mm-2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 28
  • fuze-1.jpg
    fuze-1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 29
  • fuze-2.jpg
    fuze-2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 24
3in Russian

How come we get lots of the cases in the UK but I've never seen a shell for these? 2pr

How come we get lots of the cases in the UK but I've never seen a shell for these? 2pr
Finnish Arny has sold all kind of spent artillery cases in surplus shop continually more than 15 years. Possibly some of them are ending to UK as well?
I was at the shop last week and they still had on shelf at least one hundred Russian 3" cases from various manufacturers and dates ( and more in stock ).
Earlier the Army also sold inert shells of different calibers but stopped in near 10 years ago.

Ok it has been de-rusted (and again, Evapo-rust works amazingly) and I have only found 2 markings on it (none on the base).

Just above the rotating band is one singular Б with another stamped 180 from it in the same place above the rotating band.

I was able to remove the rentention screw holding the fuze in, now I just have to find a way to remove the fuze. Any ideas?