What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm rifle M310A1 TP ?

Western

Next to the HEAT round there is another M310A1 round wich I think could be a TP.
The normal HEAT projectile (right) has a removable windshield to makes it able placing a cone inside.
The second from right is a one piece projectile with a normal threat to fit the BD M91 fuze.
There is no fuze so it is possible there never was one. Could be a closing plug instead.
Stamped about 1 inch above the pre-engraved rotatingband : 75mm M310A1 SAP-1-2 77
The projectile has been repainted but could be in the wrong colour.

75mm recoilless.jpgUntitled 1.jpg75mm cartridge.jpg

Questions:
Is there any manual wich covers this projectile?
Is it a TP round? and if HEAT how was the cone placed inside?
Wich colour should it be?
This projectile seems to be produced 1977. When stopped 75mm rifle ammo production?

Western,

The best book on the 75mm RR ammo, is TM9-1901 Artillery Ammunition dated September 1950. The 75RR came out too near the end of WWII to make it into the normal manuals dated 1945. The 75mm RR was phased out in the U.S. around the 1950s as far as I know. The rotating HEAT projectile is very inefficient for armor penetration. The U.S. has been using 75mm RR and 105mm RR for avalanche control here in the states during the past 20 years, after the weapons were removed from military usage.

Many countries have copied the design or been the beneficiaries of U.S. Recolless weapons, and some foreign countries have produce ammo for them. Noth Vietnam used the 75mm RR against the U.S. during the Vietnam War.

If your projectile ogive does not unscrew, is it still hollow inside? You say it is threaded in the base, does the cavity open up to show a cavity for explosive? The only way that a cone could be inserted, would be from the front, by unscrewing the ogive. If your projo is solid it would be too heavy for regular firing and then it is most likely either a drill projectile, turned to the proper shape of a HEAT round, for loading and identification practice, or a replica made by using the lower part of a different model of projectile that already had the preengraved rotating band. Drill projectiles are painted bronze color or light blue with white lettering.

Last edited:
Hazord , thank you for your answer!

Yes the TM 9-1901 ,1950 is a good resource for the 75mm rifle including the 1954 changes wich shows the .30 subcaliber.(also some nice 105mm rifle rounds) The second picture above is from the 1950 manual.
I was hoping for a manual dated after that because of the 1977 date on the projectile but maybe that doesn't exist.
Avalanche controle is not the first thing I would think about living in a flat country.:tinysmile_hmm_t:
Do you know wich projectiles they used for this?

The projectile has the cavity for explosive and today I took the sandpaper to remove the thick paint .
I hoped to find some faint yellow markings under the paint but no succes. However there was a lot of the original paint both on body and windshield wich was also OD. Now I'm not so sure about the one piece shell. Looks like the ogive is separate like it should be.

Western,

I have seen two types of projectiles used for Avalanche control, standard nose-fuzed HE and HEP-T (HESH).

Sounds like you might have had too much paint on your bullet.

Rick,

Maybe you have heard her say that, but I've never heard that before.