What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm vs. 3inch

Shell Shifter

You know, it has occurred to me that I really cannot distinguish them. Could someone please provide a quick overview?

Thank you.

I'm not sure what you're asking. They have been many different 75mm rounds, and many different 3 inch (76.2mm) rounds.

The 3 inch ones are 1mm larger in diameter. Other than that, are you talking U.S. manufactured stuff, Army only, or Army and Navy mixed, or do you want to really make it confusing and add in all the foreign stuff?

Maybe the question is more basic, as 75mm is one caliber and 3inch being 76.2mm is a nother one. The 75mm came into the US system during WWI when they adopted French 75mm guns since they had not enough guns on hand when they entered WWI in Europe. After that the 75mm never disappeared again and seems to have influenced following designs/guns.

I think that the question was, in fact, more basic.

I guess going back to square one might be in order.

Below are the 75mm/3in projectiles that I have.

IMG_3347.jpg

I had thought that (from left to right) they are: French 75mm, Russian 75mm, then 3 3in field gun projectiles.

They could all be U.S. manufactured. We adopted the French 75mm in WWI and used the first projectile up to WWII. We manufactured millions of the 76.2mm Russian projectile to send to Russia in WWI. The shorter 3 inch shrapnel projectiles could be 3 inch field gun or 3 inch antiaircraft gun depending on how long they are, and the 3rd 3 inch shrapnel looks like the high velocity one designed for the antiaircraft guns.

So, what is your question exactly?