What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm With Percussion type fuze

Xtremeintensity

Projectile with Point detonating fuze

I am trying to ID this item, so far thanks to a few members on this site, I have found that I have a projectile which is 84mm in diameter with a length of 310mm in length.

Attachments

• 100_71071.jpg
    100_71071.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_71081.jpg
    100_71081.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_71061.jpg
    100_71061.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 48
  • new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 39
  • new 3.jpg
    new 3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 31
  • new 4.jpg
    new 4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi Brad, Had a look-see at your gallery and that 75mm projectile is quite interesting. I am not sure what it is but very interested in finding out. I hope one of our members can be of help. I've never seen the like before. This is actually an appeal to other members to have a look at your gallery and help with ID on this round. Best to you..........Dano

Hello Xtremintensity,

Your 75mm projectile is interesting! The double row rotating band is a new one on me. Your point detonating fuze is actually an American MK III with the centrifugal plunger safety device. See EODGUY'S thread from today listed as WWI fuzes. He included a great photograph of one.

Best regards,

Randall

what do they say about assume?

I have been hitting a dead end Identifying this so I decided to start at scratch...now I realize how wrong I was.

Diameter: 84mm
Length: 315mm
Wall thickness: approx 10mm

I have also looked into the fuze since I was corrected by Shelldude. It is in fact an American MkIII point detonating fuze modified from the French M1916. (thank you Shelldude and EODGUY)

So I apologize for providing such poor information on the item and welcome any other help anyone can offer.

I will now adjust the topic of the thread to reflect this info.

Last edited:
update

Further info on the item, It has a streamline boat tail as shown, the driving bands are as follows,bottom band is 7mm wide with a 2mm gap then a 9mm driving band. There is also a slight indentation below the driving bands.

Additional Info

Projectile Length without fuze: 313-315mm
Diameter:84mm
Driving band Diameter: 85mm
From base to bottom driving band: 65mm
Driving bands 6mm bottom band 3mm Gap 9mm top band(18mm Total)
Base Diameter: 76mm
Base to Ogive: 218mm
Depth pojectile cavity: 290mm
Interior: Tappered walls (tappers down to approx 25mm at base)

Cuts at the mouth appear to be manufactured.

There are marks just above the driving band. Really hard to make out but appear to be A F 496V just above that there appears to be a mirror immage of a 3.

On the body at 144mm there is a definate indentation very simular to that of the 2.75inch heat.

The body does appear to be buff yellow and has a 2mm band around the nose of the projectile that appears to be black(or could be wear from some sort of tool.)

On the base that bronze looking plate is 43mm in diameter directly centered in the base.