What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75x158 Case

Richard709

Hi All,

Another recent find that I could do with some help in identifying,

Web 75x158 001.jpgWeb 75x158 002.jpgWeb 75x158 003.jpgWeb 75x158 004.jpgWeb 75x158 005.jpg

the only marking is V S & M in a circle, it also has 4 indents as shown on pic 5 which are 1/2in - 12mm down from the case mouth, would like to think these are the crimp marks for the projectile??.

case mouth - 75mm
length - 158
base dia - 85mm

All the Best.
Richard

This case is for the 2.95" Mountain Gun. You are correct about the crimp dots.

It was made by Vickers, Sons & Maxim probably between 1900 and 1910.

Here is a link to a wikipedia page on the gun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_2.95_inch_Mountain_Gun

This is quite a nice find. It seems that there are more of these around that have been "trench arted" than there are in unmodified condition.

Last edited:
Hi Falcon, You really are a star. I do wonder if the guns were issued/used mostly in the British African colonies how the case came to be here??. Thank you very much for the help it is most appreciated.
All the Best.
Richard

btt ;) just found (13,4,15) the same in Terry Mississippi......

Great info; Ya'll. Went to London April 2014 and walked around with bulging pockets full of change until I figured out how to spend it; the IWM was CLOSED for 100 year redo of WWI; coming back 2017!!!!Semper fiJohn