What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76mm cvrt

Depotman

Premium Member
Any idea as to the gun, vehicle and cartridge case for this one please?

Thanks

Depotman

Attachments

• DSCN8274.jpg
    DSCN8274.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN8273.jpg
    DSCN8273.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN8272.jpg
    DSCN8272.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 76
CVR(T) is Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked)
76mm would be the Scorpion variant

CVRT-Scorpion-Iraq-1991.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments - if you look at the ammunition info and pictures for the 76mm Scorpion this projectile is nothing like any of them! The M78BG stencil looks like a USA marking and most of our ammo doesn't use that format.

Any of you guys in the USA seen this?

Regards, Depotman

I have not. The M number may seem US, but the BG following it is not typical. M78A1 (2,3,etc) or M78E1 would be more likely to indicate modifications. Doesn't look US to me, but I've been wrong before.

Hi everybody,

Should it be possible that nobody knews that "BG" in a model designation designate "BELGIUM" ? Hmmm ?!

Hoo yes, we also have been equiped with CVRT Scorpion, Scimitar, Spartan, Swingfire, Sultan, Samson, Samaritan.

This model of 76 mm CVRT was made by a belgian manufacturor for belgian army.

What was scrapped in the lot number ? MCR, PRB or ASM ?

Have a nice Week end.

Yoda

Scorpions do not think it's such a projectile
Here I put two photographs original 76mm projectiles Scopions
IMG_8574.jpgIMG_8602.jpg

yes scorpion
img_0274.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Any idea as to the gun, vehicle and cartridge case for this one please?

Thanks

Depotman

ADDITIONAL INFO:- There are stampings just above the driving band which read "1MMJ 80-76MM-CVRT-M78BG"

Similar to the stencils, but not quite! Many thanks for all the responses so far.

Depotman

We have come across the stampings "MMJ" before as they appear on a lot of Ordnance which I always felt was of Finnish origen !
I used to have a 130 mm RAP/HE shell that was marked MMJ and a lot of Cockerill 90 mm Low pressure/low spin projectiles also bear this stamping.
Certainly not British made but may have been part of a contract bought in for a specific weapon as we are losing all production facilities in this country meaning that anything "special" has to be bought in form other countries.
Very nice rounds all of you !

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

Should it be possible that nobody knews that "BG" in a model designation designate "BELGIUM" ? Hmmm ?!

Hoo yes, we also have been equiped with CVRT Scorpion, Scimitar, Spartan, Swingfire, Sultan, Samson, Samaritan.

This model of 76 mm CVRT was made by a belgian manufacturor for belgian army.

What was scrapped in the lot number ? MCR, PRB or ASM ?

Have a nice Week end.

Yoda

looks like PRB to me Yoda which would indicate belgian manufacture,we have found quite a few of these on one of the northern firing ranges in the UK used regulary by belgian troops

OK, I've found some answers :

MMJ is the lettering of the manufacturor : "Metallurgia Malines", or complete "Metallurgie de Malines SA. It's a undermanufacturor of PRB : "Poudreries Runies Belges".
MMJ was destroyed in 1966 by a big explosion.

So I said before, your 76mm CVRT is made by a belgian manufacturor for the belgian army.

Now I have a little remark, if I see good, the rest of paint marking who is scrapped is not MMJ (stamped marking) but the last letter should be for me an M. It should be for me a remake of a projectile of MMj made by ASM (Arsenal de Munitions).

Yoda

I have read before about the explosion that destroyed MMJ. I have a 90mm Cockerill case made in the 1980s with the "MMJ" marking.