What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76mm M41 Walker Bulldog Round

Vasco Da Gama

I thought to post some pictures of what I think is an example of the ammunition from the post WW2 M41 Walker Bulldog light tank. I have not come across many examples of this case in the UK, probably because the tank was not in service with the British Army. The case is 76x580R and marked T19E1 and was made in 1968, the stencils indicate it's original projectile was the M339 AP-T and achieved a muzzle velocity of 3200 FS (marked in red paint). When found it was fitted with the M42 HE projectile, which I think is also correct for this weapon. The M42 started out in WW2 fitted to the 76mm gunned Later model Sherman tanks. Pictured alongside the APCBC 3in US round from WW2 towed anti-tank gun for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 130
Hello.....most (if not all) Shermans used the M1 that used a 76.2x539Rx90 case (M26) and not the case used by the M41 Bulldog (76.2x580Rx108.......T19E1 for the original modified M1902 cases, then M88, M101, M171A1, M331A1, M340 etc). The major difference to the M1902 cases is that the neck was larger because the driving band was enclosed.
Cheers

Vasco Da Gama,

All of the projectiles for the Walker Bulldog tank are designed such that most of the rotating band is inside the case mouth, with a small lip at the top that is a larger diameter that sits on top of the case. Therefore, the M42 projectile is not appropriate for use in that case or gun.

In your third photo, the walker bulldog case is at the top, and the 3 inch antiaircraft gun/antitank gun case is on the bottom. The 3 inch case is shown with an APCBC-T projectile in it. The M42 projectile would also be appropriate for this case, and the longer 3 inch antiaircraft gun case, in addition to the M26 straight case used in the 76mm gun on the Super Sherman. You can see those rounds outside the turret in the movie "Kelley's Heros".

Thread with photos of different projectile rotating bands comparison Walker Bulldog versus 3 inch/76mm:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/43248-Identification-Tips?highlight=Walker+Bulldog

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgMany thanks, you have explained why the projectile is very loose fitting in the case! I have added a couple more pictures, T19E1 case against the M26 round for the later 76mm gun armed Sherman and a steel case from the 3in US anti-tank gun. I understand that there were complaints about the explosive effect of this later HE shell in comparison to the older M48 shell used in the early 75mm armed Sherman.

The 3 inch steel case in such a good condition as you have shown is pretty rare. A steel case with good laquer and lettering that is 70 years old is hard to find here in the States. The brass ones turn up quite often. Usually the steel ones have been stood up on concrete, and the headstamp area is all pitted from rust.

I've never heard any complaints about the 3inch or 76mm HE projectiles compared to the M48. The M48 was more of a shorter range projo used in the 75mm Howitzer and the Sherman 75mm tank gun whereas the M42 projectile was used extensively in the Antiaircraft guns and fired at higher velocities than the 75mm round. I believe the M48 projectile and the Walker Bulldog HE projectile are both longer than the M42. The Walker Bulldog was used late in the Korean War and in Vietnam. The Bulldog HE projos are much harder to find than the M42 or M48 projectiles.

Many thanks Hazord, the steel case has been in my collection for 30 years. I was based in Germany and was able to find the odd item just across the border in Belgium. I guess the case was fired in the vicinity of Aachen and so is a true WW2 veteran. The base is smooth with no headstamp, just the markings on the primer (dated 1944) the M42 projectile will go in it this afternoon!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 28
M8owner - not with that fuse, the Bulldog only fired direct fire munitions with impact fuzes, your pic shows a projo with a time suoer quick fuze = it would fit a 76mm in size.

When I was in VN we supported a VN armor unit that had Walker Bulldogs, only rounds I ever saw was HE, cannister, WP and a HEAT round. Bulldogd were great little tanks, fast and accurate gun, they easily coould have stood toe to toe with the NVA armor, just needed to keep the flank and rear iprotected - biggest weakness was a gasoline tank and engine.

Vasco Da Gama,

If you picked that case up in Belgium, chances are, that it was used during the Battle of the Bulge. I believe the M-10 tank destroyers with that gun were used there.