What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76mm M62 ballistic cap vs 75mm M61 Ballistic cap

jeff w

Does anyone know if the ballistic cap on the America 76mm M62 projectile is the same height as the ballistic cap on the 75mm M61 projectile? I am missing the cap from my 76 and am wondering how close they were...

Press fit ballistic caps.

On the recessed area where the cap is crimped on,"my cap is loose,was never crimped"on my 75mm M61 I get a diameter of 69.96mm at its widest point,the cap seat does taper a bit. The hight of the cap is 148.38mm.

I do have another loose cap,an extra I picked up,and its height is 149.41mm and its opening is 66.92mm. Thats almost a full 3mm smaller than the measurement from the projectile above. Im assuming thats because this loose cap has not yet been pressed on a projectile.There is also a small difference in the material the caps are made from,the cap that came with my projectile seems to be a bit thinner than the loose cap I have.

Anyone have the 76mm M62 to get measurments from??
.75mmAPC 010.jpg

Last edited:
P1010001.JPGP1010002.JPG

Here are the dimensions from the ballistic cap on my 76mm M62 APC-T:

Length: 148.39mm
Outside diameter of opening: 72.31mm
Inside diameter of opening: 70.60mm

Best regards,

Randall

Thanks for the replies guys.

The seat on the M62A1 I have is 67mm.

Sounds like the heights are the same - at least as far as the naked eye is concerned.