What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

77mm for Id

tnor_fr

Hello,

I do not have any documentation for this 77mm with this model of brass belt (gaz or schrapnel ?)
The lengh is 24,5cm.
Thank you.
IMG_2186.jpgIMG_2188.jpg

it's a Feldschrapnell 96 n/A (umg.) The rings are made from copper, not from brass.

Thanks Alpini
Do you have the page with explanations, i have only the Fs 96 from the book "Artillerie-allemande-les-projectiles-France-1917".
FS96.JPG

I add the drawing...

I am too happy to have the "Artillerie-allemande-les-projectiles", but like in many more cases it's wrong about the Feldschrapnell's. The page which you mention (and the drawing to this page uploaded by me) is not showing a "Feldschrapnell 96" it is showing a "Feldschrapnell 96 n/A". Also the mentioned weapons are wrong. The "Feldschrapnell 96" was used only by the Feldkanone 96. The Feldkanone 96 n/A used the Feldschrapnell 96 n/A, the Feldschrapnell 96 n/A (umg.) and also the late war "Feldschrapnell 96 umg.".

The "n/A" is the important thing. The old "Feldschrapnell 96" had no crimp-grooves and the driving band was lower near the base.

You have the "Feldschrapnell 96 n/A (umg.)" which is basically the same as the "Feldschrapnell 96 n/A". The "(umg.)" just denotes that it was converted from an old "Feldschrapnell 96". On a lathe the lower driving band was removed (the lower copper belt on your shell), the crimp grooves added and a new driving band added. Also a changed fuze with different burning time was added the Dopp.Z.96 n/A.

Finding an original drawing of a "Feldschrapnell 96 n/A (umg.)" should be nearly impossible as the german manuals did not care about the (umg.). They had the same ballistic data like a normal Feldschranell 96 n/A and the artillery men didn't need to know the difference.

Attachments

• 96nA.jpg
    96nA.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Alpini,

There's a drawing of the 7,7 F. Schr. 96 (umg.) in the UK version of your book [Notes on German Shells (1 may 1918)].

Attachments

• 7,7 F. Schr. 96 (umg).jpg
    7,7 F. Schr. 96 (umg).jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 44
Alpini,

There's a drawing of the 7,7 F. Schr. 96 (umg.) in the UK version of your book [Notes on German Shells (1 may 1918)].

This doc shows the 7.7cm Schr.96 umg (higher adapter) and not the 7.7 Schr.96 n/a umg showed, a modified shell with old body of 7.7 Schr 96 (no crimp groove, lower band and thin adapter)

yes, MINENAZ16 explained it right. The "Feldschrapnell 96 n/A (umg.)" and the "Feldschrapnell 96 umg." are much differend shells. The time table of the shrapnells is the following:

1896: Feldschrapnell 96 = original type introduced with the Field gun 96, separate ammunition
1908: Feldschrapnell 96 n/A = new type for Field gun 96 n/A with cartridged ammunition
1908: Feldschrapnell 96 n/A (umg.) = converted Feldschrapnell 96's
during war: Feldschrapnell 96 umg. = easier to manufacture cases