What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7mm Mauser headstamps case lengths

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
I picked up a couple of clips of 7mm Mauser today, one lot had the normal DM K headstamp but there were also 'C.B 1896 C' and 'S.F.M 1896 (2 Cs back to back)'

These were 7 x 55 cases (according to my cloth tapemeasure). The other lot were 7 x 52 cases and the headstamps are all 'D.M 1896 FYA' the Y being in a smaller font than the F & A.

Can anyone identify the CB manufacturer and what is the significance of the FYA?

Presumably the French SFM round is a foreign contract rather than for French use?

And finally, what was the 7 x 52 used in?

many thanks as always

dave

Attachments

• 100_5285.jpg
    100_5285.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_5288.jpg
    100_5288.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 42
Hello
7 Mauser = 7x57mm

DM = Deutsche Metallpatronenfabrik Karlsruhe
FYA = Fusiles y Ametralladoras. Contract for Argentina
C.B. = Cartoucherie Belge, Liege, Belgium

Last edited:
well done that man! that is them. It would appear that these FYA rounds are actual Boer procured rounds. Well I didn't expect that. Thanks very much again Pete

regards, Dave

Look here Dave: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6042
It's certainly not an ordinary cartridge at least for me.
Saludos
Kike
That is excellent, Kike - a full discussion of the issue by people who clearly know what they are talking about. Many thanks indeed, these hitherto unknown and probably unloved rounds now have a name and a history of their own. I am very grateful to you and Pete for sorting this for me.

regards, dave