What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8,8cm Gr.39 HL (Holladung)

pzgr40

Premium Member
The first one this year :)

Cutaway model of an 8,8cm Gr.39 HL. (shaped charge shell 39) for the KwK.43 gun in the Koningstiger, the Jagdpanther and the Pak 43
The weight of projectile is 7,65 kg. The nose fuze used is the AZ38St (direct action 38 steel). The shell is of the PIBD (Point Ignited Base Detonated) type. This means that if the duplex detonator of the fuze is ignited by the firing pin upon impact, the flame of the explosion is led down through the hollow aluminium tube placed in the explosive charge, igniting the heat sensitive detonator in the booster. The detonation wave will now move from bottom upward. When the explosion wave reaches the cone, the Monroe effect will occur, thereby piercing through 90 mm steel. As the projectile is not depending upon speed to penetrate armour it does not matter if the target is at 100 meters or 3000 meters from the gun firing the projectile to obtain 90mm penetration.
Functioning of the AZ38St: After firing, the centrifugal safety weights are thrown outward, overriding the force of the surrounding expanding spring ring. The firing pin is now free to move down into the duplex detonator cap if a target is hit.
The entire explosive charge is made of Pentrite, devided in three stacked blocks, wrapped in a cartboard container. Under the container a 5 mm layer of magnesiumkit (white) is cast, a kind of WW2 polyester resign. Under the magnesiumkit layer a sphere shaped filler piece made out of either bakelite or glass is placed. The straight walled cone pointing forward and placed in the nose cone is a protective cone ,preventing shrappnel from the duplex detonator damaging the shaped charge cone.

The shellcase 6388St is steel made, brass plated and filled with 1,68 kg Digl. R.P –G 0,5- 700/650 – 7/6 powder charge, meaning 1,68 kg Diglykol RohrPulver (Diglycol Powder Sticks) type G 0,5 , lengths 700mm (core) and 650mm (side and below tracer element), 7 mm in diameter with a hole of 6 mm through. A bag of 40 grams Nz.Man. N.P 1,5x1,5 rifle powder is sewed to the base of the powderbag housing the sticks to instantaniously ignite the main charge.

Length of the Pzgr.39 HL : 1170mm
Length of projectile (with tracer): 446 mm
Length of shellcase : 822mm
V0 : 600 mtrs/sec

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - KwK43 Holladung doorsnede.jpg
    01 - KwK43 Holladung doorsnede.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 02 - KwK43 Holladung achterkant.jpg
    02 - KwK43 Holladung achterkant.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 03- KwK43 Holladung detail doorsnede.jpg
    03- KwK43 Holladung detail doorsnede.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 04 - AZ38St.jpg
    04 - AZ38St.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 05 - Table.jpg
    05 - Table.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 70
superb work.

Question : The HL shell used with the 88mm Pak 43 is the same as the shell used with the 88mm Flak 18 / 36 ? (driving bands)

Yes, it is , when looking at the last picture (05 table) , you can see the one I marked on the top page with a red arrow (this shell) the Gr 39 HL , on the lower page the Gr. 39/43 HL is mentioned, and that one , with the addittion of /43 has wide drivingbands.
I do however suspect that the Gr. 39/43 HL with wide driving bands is rare as hens teeth as the HL shell is a low velocity (600 mtrs/sec) projectile, so lower pressure shell, there is hardly a reason to produce them with wide drivingbands that prevent gas leakage at high pressures. In all my years of collecting I have not ever seen a Gr 39/.43 HL with wide driving bands.

And yes, the same shell was also used on the Flak 18/36/37

Attachments

• 8,8 cm Hl Gr.39.JPG
    8,8 cm Hl Gr.39.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
realy great cut!!

"Under the magnesiumkit layer a sphere shaped filler piece made out of either bakelite or glass is placed" - Why is this placed? Because of the shock wave?

No, just a filler piece. I know what you mean. With the APHE shells it's placed in front of the HE charge container to avoid the charge from exploding prematurely due to heat and shock generated by the impact. Here it is -as far as I can see- just a filler piece.

Last edited: