What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8,8cm PZGR KPS

Jose__

There is only one show in italy which im glad to visit :D, got this awesome thing i was missing!! its a 8,8cm pzgr with KPS (correct?) driving bands, in quite great conditions. Now, as far as i know on the panzergranate, the big number stenciled below the penetrator should be referring to the explosive charge, that is 92 on the newer pzgr, so what kind of explosive charge was number 28 referring to?

IMG_2293.jpgIMG_2295.jpgIMG_2297.jpgIMG_2299.jpgIMG_2300.jpgIMG_2304.JPG

Nice find Jose. Very rare in this condition. This is the 8,8 cm Pzgr KPS with the large cavity. An 8,8 cm Pzgr with FES driving bands also exist.

Explosive fillers nr. 1 and nr. 28 were used in this type of shell.
Explosive filler nr. 1 is Fp02 (TNT) and nr. 28 is a mixture of Fp10 and Np10.
Fp10 is a mixture of 90% TNT and 10% wax.
Np10 is a mixture of 90% Nitropenta and 10% wax.

Both fillers were pressed in cardboard or aluminium containers.

Attachments

• BdZ f. 8,8 cm Pzgr 2.jpg
    BdZ f. 8,8 cm Pzgr 2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 32
Very nice Jose. I have seen photos of 88 HE shells with KPS bands, but this is the first for an AP. I have an 88 AP with the large explosive cavity but with FES driving bands. The explosive filling date on your projectile is 1943. I thought all use of KPS bands for 88mm projectiles ended before 1940?

Very nice Jose. I have seen photos of 88 HE shells with KPS bands, but this is the first for an AP. I have an 88 AP with the large explosive cavity but with FES driving bands. The explosive filling date on your projectile is 1943. I thought all use of KPS bands for 88mm projectiles ended before 1940?

The shellwas filled in March 1943, but I expect that the shell body was manufactured (years?)earlier. Unfortunately the loading data were stamped over the manufacturingdata, so it is difficult to read when the shell body was made.

The shellwas filled in March 1943, but I expect that the shell body was manufactured (years?)earlier. Unfortunately the loading data were stamped over the manufacturingdata, so it is difficult to read when the shell body was made.

Shell manufacturing date is 40! and was made by HNG (possible?) its not clearly visible from the picture, but there is a 40 on the right of 43, this shell must have been forgotten in depot for a long time :D